Chapter 18 - Aftermath

Anahita

As the dawn beats the terror filled night of Athens, I was holding the hand of Daphne as the royal physician stitched her wounds. In the brink of sunlight she gained consciousness, as she fainted after leaving the gates of Athens. Her once bright, sun-kissed skin turned lifeless pale but her eyes still held that sparkle when she gazes at me.
"Forgive me, Daphne. I shouldn't have left her with you." My voice barely above whisper as the tears in my eyes in the brink of falling down.
"It was the battle I've chosen. Please don't blame yourself, your grace. I knew I would die when I clashed my sword with hers. Just like I knew I lost you the moment I realized how she held your heart." Daphne said with a sad smile that once again tore me apart.

Fuming was understatement but I cannot blame the other generals when it is I, who left all the power over my army to Artemisia which allowed her to massacre thousands including one of our own. Betrayal is not a great feeling to be felt. I trusted her more than anything. I gave her everything I could offer but in the end it meant nothing to her. I expected better from her but in the end she never fails to disappoint me. What should I do when I constantly reminded that I will always be the second choice to her? Never the first, never the priority. No matter how much I give, no matter how much I trust. Thoughts such as these swarmed on my mind while I was leading my army to enter the city that now part of my empire. The thick scent of ashes makes anyone going near the gates feel suffocated and teary like it is blowing the last of its defence against us. No matter what now the Athens will be known as part of Persia under the sovereignty of Anahita, empress of Persian empire.
The surrendered citizens of Athens, the last of the free people of Greeks knelt down as I was making my way to the Parthenon.
"Bring me the captives." I ordered and my immortals started to collect men who surrendered at the bottom of the stairs. There were hundreds of them if not thousands. Men, women and children who just witnessed the most terrible things to be alive with right before this day. As I was reaching the top of the marble stairs, there she was waiting for me with sun shining on her pale face, adding glow that resembled a goddess. Turning around to hide my admiration for her, I told myself to stay strong.
"Do you think they will stay loyal to me as my subjects after what happened to them last night?" I asked her while gazing at the sea of Greeks kneeling down.
"After your massacre on behalf of my name, they will always see me as a tyrant who mercilessly slaughtered their beloveds. Would you follow me if you were in their shoes?" I turned around after not receiving reply as I expected. My gaze hard and voice cold because that is the reason I was mad at her. When she murdered thousands of innocent Greeks after denying my orders, not only she defied me but also risked another war in the upcoming years while dragging my name in the muds without thinking.
"My order was clear, Artemisia. When I said to forgive the surrendered and not to burn down the city, it was not because I have love towards the Greek people and not because I am a benevolent sovereign." I stepped closer to her.
"It was because I didn't wanted to risk one more Persian life for your cause in the future and start a war for my idiotic love again." I whispered, our faces an inch apart from each other. Her burning gaze failed to meet mine as she looked down after hearing my confession.
"How many lives should I take to satisfy you, Artemisia?" I put my index finger under her chin.
"How many kingdoms?" I lifted her chin to make her look at me.
"How many wars?" Our eyes locked with each other and I see both of our eyes glistening.
"I will not have it anymore." I whispered and connected our lips roughly, before she was able to reciprocate I pulled away and turned around.

"Rise, people of Greek.
Your senate denied to surrender to me and I had no choice but to take your city with force." I addressed the crowd downstairs.
"However, it was not my intention to murder the innocents. I wanted to bring peace by uniting the countries under one empire. No more differences, no more competitions and no more wars for land or people because we would be one and same." Greeks hearing every word I say.
"However, some of my arrogant generals defied me and neglected my orders that reflected my belief. I should apologize for it and I will prove to you everything I said is true and I am not here for slaves." I turned to see not only Artemisia but all my generals looking startled by it.
"Bring them." I ordered my immortal and they brought Artafernes, the right hand man of Artemisia along with generals under her direct command.
"They are the generals who murdered your beloveds and defied my orders. They shall be punished for it and to prove that I mean well, I will give them to you unarmed. You may do what you believe is just." and my immortals pushed them to the crowd of Greeks who started grabbing stones and attacking them. They were beating them to their deaths and the screams of Persian generals of Artemisia filled the city with agony once more.
"It is to prevent further wars with Greeks. We cannot afford to lose Persian lives once again if they start a riot because of last night's massacre. Also my order is final and if you think you can neglect it that will be you next time." I told my generals who were shaken up by my sudden decision while gazing at the Artafernes and others who already bled to death by the furious Greeks.

Nonetheless, I have achieved what my father and brother and any other other emperor before me failed to do. Uniting the Greek to Persia was every emperors dream and many had fallen while trying to fulfill it. Now the history will remember my name as a Persian sovereign who defeated the Greek and I was pleased.
"Your grace, we have prepared temple of Athena for your stay." A maid informed and escorted me.
The proud statue of Athena stood high and mighty inside the temple and made me wonder where she was when her beloved Greeks cried for help last night. The inside of the temple was grand and elegant much to the taste of the admired goddess. The small pool in front of the massive statue reflected the full moon that can be seen from the open roof.
"Summon general Artemisia." I said and stripped down and made my way to the pool.
Moments later Artemisia entered with my maid who exited right away.
The temple stood on the top of mountain that overlooked the whole city and from the where I sat the view was spectacular as there is no barrier. Addition to that, there she was standing in front of that scenery.
"Come." I said softly and she started stripping slowly, exposing that sinful skin of hers inch by an inch at a time. Finally after torturous moments, she stood with all her glory and stepped inside the pool, making her way to me. I touched her cheeks and she sighed. Closing the gaps between us, I kissed her tenderly. No matter what happened, the moment was perfect as if all those things meant nothing. The closeness, heat of her skin, softness and her heartbeat. The stillness and quietness of the night. Everything was perfect.

I turned her around and embraced her from the behind.
"You've finally made it." I whispered as we both gaze at the city of Athens.
"You should've punished me as well." She said clearly referring to the death of her generals.
"I sacrifice thousands of lives for you. Mere number of generals for your mistake is nothing to me." I said and dragged my tongue along her neck. Soon I was nibbling and sucking that soft skin while grabbing her breasts with both of my hands. Her nipples erect under my touch and the splash of water can be heard with each movement of our tangled bodies. One of my hand sneaked south on the mission to find the paradise but before it could reach her most intimate part she held my hand, stopping it. She turned around abruptly and pulled me to herself, crashing my body to hers easily. Our breasts touching sensually and her hands grabbed my ass. Her green eyes filled with lust and her every movement screamed domination. She never took me this passionately. Perhaps because of my authority as a royal or my overflowing love for her, I was the one who initiate every intimate encounter we had so far. The sudden change took me by surprise and I barely managed to reciprocate her rough kiss. Her lips travelled to my neck and to my chest where she started biting the tender skin that made me moan out loud. I can see her sleek tongue writing unknown patterns on that sensitive part.
"Artemisia..." I called her name and her green eyes darted towards mine as they were between my breasts. Hearing her name spurred more passion from her and she picked me up to the deck. My intimate part right in front of her face as she left herself still in the water as my legs were spread on the deck. She moved forward and connected her lips to my clit, I threw my head back as she began her quest to please me. I opened my eyes to see Athena overlooking our passionate moment and witnessing my sinfun encounter with the one and only general...

A/N: Comment!