Chapter 3 - Change

Anahita
The longing for a loved one is a heart shattering feeling but the fear of their wellbeing is enough to drive one to insanity. It has been three full moons since Artemisia departed the capital to execute Pilasik, a traitor who betrayed his country to join hands with the enemy. His sin angered the king of Persia and now demands his and his family's heads.
The precious farewell we had in my chamber that day kept my spirits high as it was a moment I could only dream for years. Soon after that, I consoled myself by reminding that the intellect and the prowess of Artemisia is unrivaled. However, as time pass by, the lack of messenger from her defeated all my resolve. By the time I saw the third full moon shining lonely at the dark sky, I was desperate and at the verge of losing hope. The palace of king bustled with the news that the beloved princess of Darius has fallen ill but none can imagine it is due to my aching heart for the missing general.
"You love her." Cold whisper snapped me out of my thoughts as I sat mindlessly overlooking the sea of sand through my veranda.
When I turn around Xerxes, my brother's pitch black eyes were staring into my similar ones. His tone was low and deadly, and it came out more like a statement than a question. Finding no strength nor will to answer my brother, I returned to watch the silent desert and ignored the crown prince of Persia. However, even after my lack of response Xerxes continued to watch me.
"What? Is it wrong to love someone??" I yelled as his unwelcome visit irritated me on top of my already sunken mood.
"I do not care, sister" Xerxes calmly answered and left but not before saying,
"Messenger came from north. Artemisia will come next month."
I prepared for her arrival since then, just like a flower I easily bloomed into my usual self with the anticipation of our meeting after dreadful months of separation.

Sound of horn announced her arrival as I was present in the throne room along with the council, awaiting her return. Artemisia gracefully walked in her golden chest armor with long dark cape. Her piercing green eyes scanned the room and stared at mine for a second before kneeling down in front of the king.
"My king, I, the general of your navial army successfully completed your majesty's order." Artemisia said and one of her immortal warriors behind her stepped forward to present the head of the traitor. Father approached her with eyes full of satisfaction and motioned her to stand up.
"Place this dog's head on the spike. Others shall learn not to cross me even after death." Darius the King of Persians ordered.

The palace maids rushed into the hall with foods and drinks for the celebration to honor the victory of Artemisia. Musicians started the feast and sounds of laughter and cheers filled the hall. Artemisia sat across from me as she is the king's most favored general at the head table. As I stared at her to quench my longing for her, I found a scar not quite healed on her left arm. The days I have spent praying for her safety seemed to have been in vain. Though she seem to be in a good health, anger burned inside of me as my heartbreak to imagine how painful it must have been for her. All because of a worthless traitor.

One of the guards entered and bowed in front of my father.
"Your majesty, We captured the family of Pilasik." he humbly said and awaited his king's order.
The name of Pilasik got my attention as I was feeling the need to avenge my loved one for the first time in my life.
"Where are they?" I asked the guard instead of my father. Right then, music and dance which allured the hall stopped. However, I was too intoxicated by my new feeling of hatred and wine I enjoyed throughout the feast to see the curious eyes of others on me.
"There, your highness." The guard said weakly when his gaze met with my fierce one. The golden doors of the throne room opened to reveal a girl and a boy with their mother kneeling down. The boy resembled his father quite much to me since I had the pleasure of attending the counsil with him in the past. Ignoring the curious stares on me, I approached the traitor's family. I stopped only couple of steps from the boy.
"Princess. Show mercy." Their mother, wife of the traitor begged me. However, only thing on my mind was how close I was to lose my loved one. Guards beside them bowed to me and I motioned one of them to come closer. Hesitantly one of them approached me and I grabbed his sword from its sheath. In one swing boy's lifeless body fell on the floor followed by gasps and murmurs as well as his mother's hearthbreaking scream. Pilasik's wife started crying loudly while clinging to her son's body and the little girl beside them stared at me scared. As I met with her eyes full of tears, I realized I just took a life of a poor innocent child and his blood is now dripping from the sword I'm holding. The thought alone was enough to send shiver down my spine, I quickly released the bloody weapon from my hand. When I turned around, everyone's eyes were on me along with Artemisia's emerald ones. Though the boy's death hangs around my neck like a boulder, I wish not to be seen weak and irresponsible to my own action in front of her.
"I order the execution of the traitors family in the name of my father, king Darius. " I stated after swallowing the lump on my throat. The order of mine soon followed by the guards dragging the prisoners outside for execution. Despite my intervention, they were to be hanged by the law. However, even that knowledge was not enought to console me and get rid of the guilt I felt inside of me. I walked to my father and paid my respect to him before running away to my chambers.

At the privacy of my chambers, I seem to cannot forget those brown orbs of the boy staring right at me before I drew the sword that took his life. My hands were trembling and I could not stay still, Shadi and the maids were begging me to rest and retire for the night. I dismissed them and stopped in the middle of my bed chamber. Only the ray of moon is visible through the window and lights out my surrounding. I closed my eyes and prayed for him. But soon I opened them when I felt someone's hand cupping my face and whispering,
"Princess."
Months of worry and craving for her made me move on my own and I pulled her into my embrace once again. I felt warm and safe with her. Her precense calmed me down and when we parted I felt as if I am no longer complete by myself.
"Thank you for coming back" I whispered as she gently wiped the tears that I could not hold anymore.
~~~

I was welcomed by the king's order for a hunting trip the next morning. Persian empire is known as their skillful and powerful warriors and hunting is a military custom to keep the skills and morale of the army sharp. However, it is often done as preparation of a war and I wondered if it is the reason for this one as well. I prepared my pearly white armor with golden robe after receiving my father's order to accompany him.
The road to the forest is far and the weather of my kingdom does not favour me. Bright sun of Persia blazing without mercy is a torture as I rode my silver white horse. After a whole day, we arrived at the hunting spot. I was always excited to go hunting since I was child because it was my only get away from the palace. My maids prepared my red marquee and immortal guards assigned to me took their positions surrounding it. Throughout the trip, I could not steal a glance of her as it was the only reason I insisted on riding a horse instead of a carriage.

However, the lady luck turned to my side as I saw her not too far away from me the next day.
Her dark horse and dark armor seems to be my exact opposite. Without wasting much time, she received the first honor of the hunt by killing a deer in a single shot. I spotted a couple of rabbits and went after them while preparing my arrow to shoot. Four of my guards were following me behind. No longer concerned about my safety, I went after the rabbits full speed to have something to save face in front of Artemisia and other soldiers in the hunt. In a blink of an eye, I found myself on the ground and my horse wounded by an arrow next to me. My guards dismounted their horse and pulled off their immortal masks.
"What are you doing?" I asked, shock evident in my voice to see their unusual behavior.
"Kidnapping you my princess. I want revenge. Your old, nothing good at father killed my brother and you... You killed my nephew. " One of them said while mockingly bowed to me. I never saw him within my guards and there is no need to mention he looks identical to Pilasik.
"I'll make sure you and your father regret murdering my family." He said and grabbed me by my neck.
"Your father shall experience the same feeling I felt when I lost my brother and saw my sister in law raped to her death by your warriors." My eyes widened when I heard his last sentence. I choked out of breath but breathed fully when an arrow shot his arm which released me. He yelled in pain and we both looked to see Artemisia already charging with her sword to attac his fellow kidnappers. In a matter of seconds, she defeated them all and approached us but halted when he grabbed me again.
"Dare to take one step I'll kill her. " he said and I felt cold blade of sword near my throat.
"What do you want?" Artemisia growled.
"You are the one who cut my brother's head right? I want you dead." he replied.
Artemisia thought for a second and dropped her sword on the ground. She took a step forward and I can't help but to feel touched by her action just to save me. Pilasik's brother pushed me to the groung and walked to her. He kicked her down and slapped her with so much force that made her fall. Just as he was about to swung his sword, I quickly grabbed my bow and shot the arrow towards his direction before he murder my beloved general. To my luck he fell lifeless besides Artemisia, my arrow shot through his back. 

I knelt down unable to believe what just happened but sighed in relief that my love didn't get hurt. A small smile danced on my face as she pulled me into her arms.
I pulled out of our embrace slightly and closed the distance between our lips. Her lips felt so soft and I deepened the kiss when she kissed me back with the same passion.