Chapter 2 - Promise

Anahita

I stayed at my chambers the whole day, unable to think of something I can do to relieve the nerve upon discovering my late night encounter with Artemisia. I'm glad that the only love of my heart carried me to my room but the sudden confession that made by myself last night terrifies me. I can't imagine how she will respond after what I said to her which is why I'm afraid to run into her today. If it wasn't for that, as usual I would roam around the palace just to see a glimpse of her.
I felt like a caged bird inside my room. The unusual stuffing feeling made me visit my old training room as I convinced myself that she wouldn't be there due to her preparation for her upcoming mission. I used to come to the training room just to admire her when we were both young. However, once my father allowed me to train, I avoided running into her in this very room due to my pride to not show my exhausted self in front of her. Even at that young age, I tried my best to have eye catching presence just to attract Artemisia's attention on me for once. Unfortunately, I never caught her looking at my direction even now which truly saddens me.
I came here to release the thoughts and feelings that now weighs inside of me. The love I have for her made me wield a sword for the first time. Among the harsh trainings I went through, I enjoyed archery the most. To focus my undivided attention on a target instead of Artemisia, I pulled the string of my golden bow. However, as soon I released the arrow I ended up cutting my finger due to my lack of training of late. I cursed under my breath as I felt my tears began to form in my eyes.
"Never knew a princess can curse." Melodic voice chuckled behind me. I can recognize this voice even at my deepest of slumber. This one belongs to none other than Artemisia.
I hesitated to turn back as I can feel my heart beginning to race and blood rushing to my face. However, before I decided to face her or not, her mesmerizing green eyes were already looking directly at my dark ones. Her gaze went down to my bleeding finger and I stared at her beautiful face that showed a slight concern. The close proximity of us was enough to erace any trace of pain within myself.
Her cold finger touched mine and she treated my wound effortlessly as I was struggling to keep the butterflies inside of me.
"Thank you." I whispered. Artemisia just nodded and gave me a hint of smile which was enought take my breath away.
"Allow me to escort you to your chambers, your highness." The general of Persian navial army offered to my surprise.
Unable to form a decent word of approval fit for a princess, I simply said "Yes" as it is unbelievably hard for me to converse with the general without showing my longing feelings.
A walk to my palace wasn't far enough but fortunately not near either. As a princess, I was taught to be confident and graceful as soon as I could walk since the royalty of an empire must present themselves as descendants of gods to the eyes of people. It is connected to the divine rights of emperor to rule the nation and everyone with it. However, every time I am in the presence of Artemisia it is as if I am a helpless little girl who is shy to even lift her head. Hence, our stroll through the palace of Persia was a silent one.
"As a gratitude I would like to invite you for a tea with me inside." I finally said when we arrived outside of my grand chamber. Artemisia's usual expressionless face stared back at me as if to contemplate my invitation. Her demeanor made me afraid that she will deny my request.
"Your wish is my command." Artemisia agreed unexpectedly to my delight.

Shadi and my other maids greeted us after opening the enormous black door with a golden lion for us to enter the palace of princess. I escorted her to my drawing room and ordered Shadi to prepare a tea for the general. Silence filled the room once again as it is common when we share each others company. Just to feel her stare on me is both a blessing and a curse as I find it difficult to remain collected under her emerald eyes. Her gaze is warm yet intimidating which is the reason I wish to stare at her but fail to reciprocate due to the intensity of her gaze. The maids served the tea which filled the room with its rich aroma that soothed me.
"It was quite enjoyable to accompany you, your highness. However, allow me to excuse myself now as I am to depart for my mission at break of dawn." Artemisia said, breaking our wordless but peaceful moments together.
The joy I felt in her presence, the nerve I felt in my stomach all seemed to vanish at the mention of deadly order she received from my father. The brief encounter we had today has to end for us to fall back into our respectful positions. Me as a princess in love with her and Artemisia as a general under the order of a king. As we both get up to bid farewells, I took a step forward and engulfed her in my embrace. It was a step that I could never take and a one that I feared from the most. However, all conflicts within myself seem to disappear as I realized it may be my last chance to hold her in my arms. The hardships and obstacles in her journey to defeat the traitor is expected and only thing I can give her is my heart she maybe already aware after last night. Needing no excuse to hide my forbidden feelings for the general anymore, I found courage in whispering, "Promise to come back." which she replied,
"I will."

A/N: I promise next chapters will be much longer than this one. So keep reading and voting :) I truly appreciate those who comments and motivates me to update. Thank you!