Chapter 6 - Blind

Anahita

The singing of the birds declared the morning and the sound of the waves reminded us we are still on the sea. However this morning is different, adding more harmony to these sounds the breathing of my love besides me proved that previous night wasn't a dream or hallucination of my mind. Even when I was smelling her delightful scent and embracing her waist from behind, I being the greedy creature I was wished she was facing me instead of the opposite side. I want to see those emerald green orbs when the silky long lashes of her eyes welcome the new day. I wish to be the first thing she sees in the morning. She belongs to me. The thought made me smile sincerely and I couldn't help but to tighten my grip around her sleeping figure and feel her warm presence next to me.

After Artemisia woke up, we went to the dining hall seperately since no one shall be aware of our relationship. However, I knew I was failing to hide my delighted state.
"Princess! Messenger came from Egyptian pharaoh." One of the guards reported after the meal.
"Let him in." I ordered and generals took their respected positions beside my throne to welcome the messenger.
The man walked in and knelt down
"Greetings, your majesty. On behalf of our pharaoh I hereby bowing to your royal highness." With said he touched the floor by his forehead.
"As you know my beautiful princess our pharaoh is young and stubborn, however, he does not have a single idea of betraying the great Persians. In my poor opinion I presume there is a misunderstanding that made your highness to lead your majestic army to our land." The man said.
"So you are implying that my father, great king Darius made a mistake by calumniating your innocent country?" I asked sharply. The man trembled out of fear.
"No, no my princess. My mere soul will not dare to dishonor the king of the kings. What I was implying is we do not have any intention to rebel against your great empire your highness."
"Why should I believe in your words?" I asked and man thought for awhile.
"I admit there were some foolish traitors who had an intention to rebel against your kingdom. But our pharaoh stopped them beforehand. That is enough of a proof to prove our pharaoh's loyalty, my dear princess." He said and once bowed respectively.
"What did he do to the rebels?" One of the generals spoke this time.
"He is waiting for your order, your royal highness."
"I'll discuss this matter with my generals. Wait for my order outside." With that said guards guided him to the door.

"In my opinion, we should summon the pharaoh here to question him and decide whether to punish him or not." One General said and some of them nodded as approvement.
"My princess, I think it's better to visit the country of Egypt and see the situation by our eyes." Another one said.
"No we should teach them lesson. Some of them did dared to start a rebellion so we should prevent it from happening again. Let us make them remember what's Persian army is capable of." One tough looking general said. But the one I was seeking for answer was quiet. I just stood there looking at her blank face.
After some time I made up my mind and ordered the guards to let the messenger in. Again he knelt down and waited for my response.
"How many people did the pharaoh prisoned?" I asked.
"About three hundred my princess."
"Execute them all and as a punishment for all Egyptians, in the name of my father I order to double the taxes from Egypt. One of my generals will assist you to your country and make sure your young and stubborn pharaoh will do as I said. In the end I'm sure your men will think twice to start any rebellious action and bother my great army to come here again." I ordered and left his mouth hanging open.

After the messenger left for Egypt, I sent a word to my father about the decision I made and waited for his approval to retreat back to our kingdom.

I know I should've bring down the Egyptian empire using this occasion. I'm aware most of my generals wanted that but I couldn't make myself start an unnecessary war.
"Why?" Reading my thoughts, she asked. I embraced her and whispered in her ear.
"Remember Zerox used to told us every battle has a potential to took your life? I couldn't risk your life by starting a pointless war, Artemisia. I cannot lose you ever. I will do everything in my power to keep you safe as possible."
As expected I received no response but it was alright since she is right here in my arms.

Couple of days later the word came from my father and he allowed us to retreat back to our empire.
Every night I sneek into her chamber and sleep in her bed. Just like right now I was in her arms, laying my head on her chest, feeling the most pleasant yet addictive feeling on the earth. I wish to stay like this forever, locked in time. I looked up and collided my lips to hers tasting the sweetness of the person I gave my heart.

Time flew faster when you are happy. Eventually we came back at the Pasargadae, the capital of our empire.

"The thing you did was..... " my father started,
"Allow me to explain my action, your majesty." I cut him off but he nodded me to continue.
"As you are already know my king, I seized to shed a blood against Egypt. The pharaoh apologized and I gave him the deserved punishment, I thought it will just prove how generous and humane your majesty is to the hundreds of other countries that are under your control. As your child, it is my responsibility to keep up your honorable name." He nodded this time as an understanding.
"Also the world is aware of the power of our great army and you, my king is born with the destiny to unite the world under the Persian empire. It is time to expand our kingdom and fulfill the prophecy you hold.
Direct your grand army to the country of Greek, father. " I said and knelt down.
The generals, ministers in the hall did not expected me to say the words none of them dared.
I just looked at Artemisia and found her astonished like the rest of them. I smiled at her and she returned it with a small smile. The hall became silent and the deadly quietness conquered the chamber for a long time. My patience was running out and I can feel hers too.
"We will start a war .... against Greek." The king of Persia arose from his throne and declared. The moment she waited for a long time arrived, I could see the flames of fire in her eyes. The moment of satisfaction, the moment of vengeance. After this day I'm aware nothing will stop this woman to burn the city of Athens. I just hope I did the right thing. Love blinds people but the blindness is actually the lighter than the reality. Thats why people fell for its trick and I may be the one of its victim. But I did what my love wanted and I have no regret. If she is happy, I will be happy. And this is my way of showing how much I love her. I just wish she will recognize it someday.