Chapter 11 - Daphne

After we entered my private chamber, I dismissed Daphne to rest and ordered my maids to bring me a wine. It frustrates me to not be able to do whatever I please even in this high position. Human's feelings cannot be swayed by power but if it was possible, I could have just order her to return my feelings and be with me for eternity. Sadly, it isn't and even with the crown on my head there is nothing I can do besides drinking my sorrow with the wine.

At the haze of my mind, she entered my chamber. When she came closer to me I couldn't help but to wrap my arms around her delicate form and breath the scent of her. She smells like a land full of jasmines where only the gods are allowed to wander. It is no place for a mortal like me but I would be content to die smelling this heavenly scent of hers.
Even after feeling her warm body, I couldn't believe she is real. She is too perfect to be a reality and I feared she might fly away if I let go of her for a moment. I rushed to witness her nudity with my whole being and loosened the straps of her dress. When it comes of her alluring body I would be a fool to not admire this perfection before my eyes. I wanted to worship every bit of her smooth skin by kissing them and no one is here to stop me from fulfilling my wish. Her moans filled the room and I swear it sounds more melodic than any instrument can offer. When I buried my head between her thighs, her womanhood welcomed me with the moist I was hoping to taste. It tastes far better than ambrosia that gives the holy gods immortality.
"Your grace." She moaned and buried her long fingers in my hair, tempting me to go faster. Once she reached her orgasm, I offered her to taste her own nectar by kissing her soft lips.

On the following morning, I felt a deadly sickness in my head and someone snuggling closer to me. To my surprise, I found Daphne resting her head on my bare chest and both of our nudity made me remember the previous night's event. It is too late to curse the wine that I drank for playing this nasty trick on my mind. I could not believe I mistaken Daphne for Artemisia and made love to this young maiden.
Quietly, I freed myself from her arms and exited my chambers. Before I had to deal with the wrong doings of my previous night I need to mend the throbbing pain of my head.
Greek god Apollo has risen from the horizon and its ray of light outshines the universe. Legends say sun god once mocked the baby outlook of the Cupid, son of Aphrodite, bearer of the poisoned arrows of love. Humiliated god of love took his revenge by poisoning Apollo with his love arrows and made the god of sun fall in love with a daughter of river god whose name was Daphne. However, evil god of love took every bit of love from the maiden's heart, lefting her unable to feel love again. Led by his sudden desire sun god chased the maiden but she refused to acknowledge his love to the point she chose to turn into a tree to avoid his chase, leaving him with his bleeding heart.
Love is such a cruel yet delightful poison.
Chained by my thoughts, I didn't sensed someone standing beside me.
"Empress." Her voice spoke.
I turned around to see Artemisia standing with other commanders who I remember as her navy fleet's generals.
"Commanders. I hope you rested well this night."
"Uh.. yes, your grace but we assume this peaceful nights won't be long. Are we assuming right, your majesty?" One of them spoke.
"What are you trying to say?" I asked for clarification even though I clearly understood the hidden meaning of his word.
"Worry not my general, speak. I'd hate to see you in fear for merely sharing your opinion on military matters. Afterall, thats exactly what you should be discussing with me. Is it not?" I said after waiting for him to respond to my previous question.
"Your grace, we were wondering when you will give us an order to attack the Athens. Since our army force is already here we think it is the wisest decision to let the Greek taste the power of Persians. " one of them spoke.
"Also Your majesty should consider, attacking the Athens was the previous king, Xerxes's wish." Another general added this time.
I assume Artemisia has really loyal generals under her control, judging by their mutual goals and words.
It is clear as crystal that she wants to burn the city of Athens to the ashes. Afterall she is so close to fulfill her desire of lifetime. Only thing stopping her from raiding the Athens is me.
"Well, you my generals are speaking truly. I'm aware where we are standing right now and I know it was my brother's wish to expand our empire to Greek. However, the blood that will run from our soldiers during the war costs much more than my desire to conquer. Is it wrong of me to consider my soldiers? You see, I don't have a solid reason to attack the Athens and invade their freedom. If you want to raid them, just give me the reason and I will order my army to march against the Athens."
I said to them and looked at her when I spoke the last part. Without hearing their reply I dismissed them and returned to my chamber.
However, Artemisia followed me but we both halted when we saw Daphne stretching out of the bedding, giving us the perfect view of her nude upper form. She too froze when she spotted her shameless intruders.
"Excuse my intrusion." Artemisia said and left. I, on the other hand did not even attempt to see her expression. It doesn't take me a great effort to guess what she looked like. Empty and blank. It became clear as day that I mean nothing to her when she chose Xerxes over me after my father died. However, even after that I'm a fool to chase her. A fool in love.
"Your grace." The young maiden on my bedding called me.
Cutting my thoughts I looked at her.
"Forgive me if I overstepped my boundaries last night." She said, kneeling down.
"No, you did not. Afterall, you belong to me now."
After I said that sincere smile took over her face, melting my heart to know that someone is actually delighted to be owned by me.
"Maids." I called and two of my handmaidens rushed through the door.
"Bring a morning meal to the lady. She must be exhausted from last night's event."
"Thank you, your grace." Daphne said but my eyes focused on her nude form kneeling in front of me.
Then the strangest thought consumed my mind. I loved Artemisia for ten years and because of that I never tried to be close with anyone. She is the dream I dreamed for ten years, day and night. I'm too addicted to that dream where I ignored every possibility that life offered me. But this time I want to try.
Being true to my decision, I did not push Daphne away when she carefully got closer and embraced me. When she retreated and looked at me, I saw admiration in her eyes and the fact that I never saw it in Artemisia's eyes made me believe I decided well this time.

A/n: tadaaa I updated with a little bit of drama. Vote and comment!! Comments really help me to update faster.