04

As I walked across the cafeteria, my heart was pounding. I got to his table and cleared my throat.

"Um....hi?" I said with a weird expression on my face. Oh my goodness, Sam! You have just embarrassed yourself in front of Ryder!

"Umm...how can I help you?" I'm pretty sure he was just mocking me.

"Can I sit here?"

"Why? Oh, you are the girl from earlier!" He began to laugh.

I was beginning to think I made a huge mistake so I turned and was about to walk away.

"Wait! I'm sorry. Have a seat."

A little smile played on my lips. I quickly shrugged it off and sat opposite him.

"Thank you for earlier."

"Yeah, no problem. You should really watch where you're going next time."

Wow, he actually said that? Then before, why was he all like, " No it's my fault?"

"Okay?"

"Okay, jokes apart. Why are you sitting here?"

"Because I want to."

He narrowed his eyes. "Hmmm. If you say so. 'Cause no one sits here."

"Are you sad that no one comes to join you for lunch?"

"It's not that they don't come. When they do, I always send them away. Don't ask why. I'm only allowing you to sit here because, well, don't ask why either. I didn't catch your name."

"It's Samantha Collins. Sam for short."

"Ryder McGraw. Ryder for short. I absolutely hate nicknames, pet names, or any name I'm called apart from the one given to me by my mum. So I'll appreciate it if you call me Ryder. Also don't call me McGraw. Between you and me, I hate the name (more quietly to himself). I don't know why I'm talking a lot today.

I laughed a little.

"Taken note."

He just shrugged.

"Can I ask a question?"

He nods his head in the affirmative.

"Why don't you have any friends?"

He looked uneasy now. "I think this conversation is over." He picked up his food tray and turned to walk out of the cafeteria.

"Wait....wait! I'm sorry I asked! Ugh."

I stay there by myself for five minutes then Rhylee came.

"Sam, what's wrong?"

"I told you this was a bad idea."

"What happened?"

"Well, the conversation was going okay. Then I asked why he didn't have any friends. He became uncomfortable and left."

"Oh." She took a seat  where Ryder was sitting before. "But why would you ask him that kind of question?"

"I don't know. It just kind of came out."

"Hmmmm." She sighed.

"Oh, I'm a terrible person." I say as I put my head in my hands.

Rhylee put her hand on my back and patted it along to a particular rhythm.

There, there," she said. "You're not that terrible."

I looked up and glared at her. She laughed.

"I'm just joking. You're not terrible."

"So much for making a second-first impression." I say with a roll of my eyes.

The bell rings, indicating lunch's over and it's time for fourth period.

A/N
Hello guys. Sorry for not updating in a while. I have school and all. So, how was the chapter? Hope you enjoyed it. Stay posted for more. Bye! :)

~addie~