Say What You Need to Say

NIALLS POV

NIALLS POV

My palms had never been more sweaty in my life. I was responsible for Brooke's survival. I ran to with the key and rotated the handcuffs till I found where they locked into place. Her breathing was heavy and so was mine. This could not be the end. The flames started to get closer to the windshield now. The heat was inches from my face. 

I felt the handcuffs break free and she fell out of the air and into my arms. Just as we exited the car the flames crawled into the passenger seat and ignited the leather. My stomach turned thinking that she had been sitting there seconds ago.

"Niall" she looked up at me with a sleepy grin

"I'm here pop tart"

Red and blue lights and the sound of sirens filled the air. The back doors to the ambulance opened and a stretcher was released. I laid Brooke down on the bed of the stretcher.

"Name?" The paramedic asked, Brooke was barely responding

"Her name is Brooke" I stood by the side of her not letting go of her hand

"How long has she been in and out of consciousness "

"I pulled her out of the car and she acted out of it but she just passed out when you got here"

"All that blood hers?" He motioned to my T-shirt

"she's bleeding from the head pretty bad"

The paramedic started feeling around in her hair "Bobby!" He yelled for another one of his team members who was bandaging up Jesses hands.

Bobby was at his side in minutes "yeah boss?"

"I'm gonna need an IV pumping and you to notify the hospital we're on our way, patients got a glass shard about 5 inches deep above her right ear. I'd be shocked if it hasn't hit her brain"

"Her what?" I started to turn pale and lose my balance.

"You her husband?" He asked

"No, boyfriend"

"You want to get in that ambulance with her, and have access to the hospital?"

"Yes"

"Then your her husband for today, family only"

"Thank you" I looked down at Brooke whose eyes were closed.

"Let's get her to the hospital, can these guys stay and do police statements" he motioned to Louis, Harry and Liam who all nodded in compliance.

"The police will be here any minute, I need you to tell them everything that happened" I begged my friends

"Ofcourse mate, go be with Brooke" Harry hugged me "she's gonna be fine" he looked me in the eyes.

I lost it. The first time I let myself cry since she was taken.

"You gotta be strong for her Niall" Liam put his hands on my shoulders. "She needs you right now"

"I know" I wiped the snot from my face. "Damn it, make sure they know everything that asshole did" I pointed to Jesse who was barely sitting up.

Once we were in the ambulance Brooks hand was twitching but she wasn't answering any of our voices.

"We won't know if there's brain activity till we get her to the hospital and they hook up the machines. I see a strong heartbeat and pulse though"

"What's gonna happen when we get there?"

"She's gonna have to go into surgery, all you can do right now is pray this glass didn't go into the brain and that they can remove it, I can feel how far back it goes and it's close" the paramedic was honest with me which I appreciated but he definitely wasn't comforting.

We pulled up to the hospital and cameras were flashing around us.

"You need to let us through" the paramedic quickly dropped the back hitch and wheeled Brooke towards the doors.

There was questions being hurled at me in all directions but I kept my head down. It was my mission to stay right up against Brooke and make sure I didn't lose sight of her.

"You famous?" The paramedic looked at me

"I'm in a band, One Direction"

"Oh, I've heard of you guys, my 13 year old daughter was heartbroken to hear that you guys were taking a hiatus"

"Yeah, were all a little older now and want to do our own thing. Ready to write and record my own music" Why was I making small talk with this guy?

He hooked Brooke up to the machine and stuck the IV in her arm, her body flinched but her face didn't react. I was starting to get nervous.

"The surgeon will be in here any second, tell me your name again"

"Niall"

"Niall, okay Niall. When they take your "wife" into surgery they won't let you go in with her. Judging by the damage I'm gonna say it's not going to be a quick procedure. You will have to sit in the waiting room. Judging by experience, you may want some company. You need to know she may not come out of this. If theirs anything you need to say, say it. Usually patients even when unconscious can hear you" He put his hand on my shoulder and walked out of the room.

I walked over to the window and fought back the tears.

" Hey baby" I sat down on the edge of her hospital bed. " I'm so sorry this happened to you. I wish I could have protected you better. I didn't ever think someone would come along and make me feel this way. You made me fall in love and to realize that love is real. Thank you for that. I need you to fight for us Brooke. Fight to get back to me. This isn't it baby, we're gonna have an amazing future. I love you so much. I knew it from the moment I saw you and..."

"Knock knock" a Doctor came into the room "I'm sorry but we must take the patient in for surgery now"