Chapter 11

I felt like I was out for weeks on end. My breath was a little heavier than normal, but that could just be because I nearly drowned in a waterfall. I felt the cool air on my face, which woke me up a little more than I thought it would. I felt a little pounding in my head, which throbbed within my skull. I moaned awake as I opened my eyes, looking up at the roof of the cave. I heard the waterfall as it continued to flow within the pond underneath it. I studied the stone roof as it looked dark, with peeks that dripped water into the pool. I watched as one of the peeks dripped and the water droplet hit my cheek, then poured down the side of my face. I sighed as a familiar monkey screeched lowly, making me flinch. "What the?" I asked weakly, as I turned my head to see Tokuichi as he watched me. The monkey tilted it's head in confusion as I studied him. I lifted a hand as he crawled under my arm, allowing me to pet him in comfort. I smiled as he curled to the side of me and latch onto my hand. Then he started to cling onto it, like a little kid with their teddy bear. I smiled at the sight. I decided that I should see if I had my strength back, seeing how I was asleep for a long time. I moaned as I placed my hands on the sides of me. "Three... two... One," I grunted as I started to lift myself up and slide into a sitting position. I moaned silently to myself as I gently pressed my back up against the wall of the cave. I held the spot where I felt the pain, feeling a little wet. I shifted to look at the spot as I lifted my shirt, seeing nothing but a little burn from the wet material. I sighed in relief as I spoke to myself. "Well, it's better than I thought it would be," I said, as I heard shifting from the mouth of the cave. "You talking to yourself over there Harper?" Dad's voice asked as I looked in the direction. Both Dad and Hambee were sitting over at the entrance like they were watching from inside the cave. Misunari was on the left of me as he went through an emergency kit. Bandage wrappers and different things were on the side of him, empty and already been used.

"Be easy on the side there Harper. It's not as bad as it looks, just a burn and a few little cuts" he said, as I looked up at him. "Thank you for taking care of it, even though I was pretty much asleep the whole time," I said as Misunari shook his head. "No need to thank me, Harp. Just get plenty of rest when we go home that's all" he said, as dad started to get up. "Shall we go home then?" he asked, as he walked over to me and got on his knees. "You ready Harper?" he asked as he slipped his arms under me. "Can I try to walk before you carry me out?" I asked as dad studied me. He watched me with a questionable look, but then cracked a smile and nodded. "Yeah. Let me help you to your feet" he said, as he placed his arms under my back. "Ready?" he asked, as I placed my arm on his shoulder and pushed up into a standing position. I winced as I started to fall, but he grabbed my arm before I fell. "Thanks," I said, as I grabbed onto his arm. Once I found my balance, I placed my hand onto my side, as I started to rub it gently. I started to lose my balance again as I grabbed onto dad's uniform. "Still sore there Harp?" he asked as I nodded. "A little bit. But I think I'm fine" I said as I stood up. I went to take a step as a pain shot through my side and I fell onto my knees. I flinched as I kept taking deep breaths to ease the pain.

Dad got next to me on the ground as I spoke. "So. You might have to carry me out. Unless you'll allow me to try again" I said, as I turned to him. Dad didn't say a word, just cracked a big smile. "Let's go home," he said as he scooped me up in his arms. I buried my head into his shirt as I moaned a bit to myself. "Are you still that embarrassed when I pick you up Harp?" he asked, as I took a deep breath. I lifted my head up to face him as I spoke. "That and you hit that side," I said, as dad looked at me in shock. "Oh. Sorry" he said, as I rested my head onto his chest. I felt his arms cradle around me more as he spoke. "Come on. Let's head back home" he said as we started to walk out of the cave. I looked towards the mouth of the cave as I seen the light get brighter as we continued on with the walk. The army's footsteps echoed deeply in the cave, along with the dripping water as we walked. The cave was starting to feel cold, which was nice and relaxing. The closer we got to the entrance, the brighter the light became. I shielded my eyes, as we go to the very entrance of the cave, but then I adjusted and saw that we were outside. I looked around, seeing the horses still where we left them before we entered the cave. Their heads were down as they ate the long grass by the rock wall.  Their tail's wagged in the wind, out of the enjoyment of the fresh grass.