Chapter 20

We rode a reasonable length of time with the Sanada army. Both armies were kept up in a conversation about survival, which was interesting to listen to. They talked about different things and Sasuke kept giving me extra tips about fighting with knives. I asked him a few questions about knives which he gladly answered. Those questions kept opening up for long conversations about fighting. When the conversation died down, we switched to talking about last night and what to do if an intruder did take over the base. They talked about how to react in a hostage situation and different tips on not getting yourself killed. It was both uncomfortable and disturbing at times, but it was something to know. Yukimura rode next to dad and me but kept an eye on his army up front.  I was starting to feel more comfortable being around the Sanada army, but it still felt weird to be around another army. I looked up ahead of us as the conversation died out, then started back up again about the test.

"Harper did a nice job last night," Yukimura said like he was the proud dad. I hid my face as embarrassment washed over me. "Thanks," I said, as I looked at the ear of dad's horse. Dad chuckled as he patted me on the shoulder. "We'll have to do it again, but change it up. Maybe without the notes," he said, as I looked up ahead of me. Kambee took a deep breath from behind us. "We should also give her a lesson on what to do when you are unarmed in an enemy's territory," he suggested as I looked back at him. I studied him in worry then faced the front again. He sighed. "But, we'll make sure you're safe and not really in danger," he said, as Yukimura turned to him. "Let us know if you need help with that. I'll be happy to take her for a night," he said, as I looked down in embarrassment. Dad rubbed my head. "We're just making sure you can protect yourself," he said, as he turned to Yukimura. "We'll let you know. But Harp's going to need a lot more training before that," he said, as Toushiiee cracked a smile. "Harper is going to be a powerful fighter. Once we figure out the right weapon for her," he said, as I rubbed the horse's shoulder. 

Nobuyuki studied me for a moment, then turned back to Toshiiee. "I think she'll be good with knives like Saizo," he said, as I chuckled a bit. Nobyuyki noticed my silent chuckle. "What? That's a good thing," he said, as I looked ahead of us. "He doesn't use a kitchen knife," I said, calming down from my laughter. Nobyuyki chuckled at the comment. "No, he doesn't. But there are very good places to get weapons like it," he said, as dad chuckled. "I have a place in mind to get weapons. Maybe we'll go into town next and find one for you," he said, as I looked back the best that I could. "If you think it's time. I don't know what would be good though," I said, as I looked up front again. "There's so many out there. You'll find something," dad said, as I watched ahead of us.  Saizo glanced back. "She did very well with my knives this morning. Maybe equipping Harper with the kitchen knife was a good start," he said, as I chuckled. "Your knives were a lot lighter than mine. I didn't really feel in control," I pointed out. Saizo chuckled. "If you end up going with knives like what I have, I can personally train you on them," he said, confident. "We'll have to let you know if she ends up with knives," dad said, as Sasuke turned to him. "Why can I see Harper with a bow?" he asked, as Mitsunari sighed. "The way Harper fights, I think a bow would be harder. But if you wanted to try a bow, we could try that too," he said, as I sat in thought. 

I took a deep breath. "I don't really know which weapon I'll go with," I admitted as I thought about the possibilities. Dad rubbed my shoulder. "Maybe we can do that before going home.  I know of a good place, if you feel up for it," he said, as I glanced back at him. "If you think I'm ready," I said, as he smiled down at me. "I think you're ready for your own weapon. You've been using a dull kitchen knife and been doing great," he said, as I looked back up front.  "It's a little scary just thinking about it," I admitted. Mitunari sighed. "It is scary at times. But the way you've been fighting, I think you'd be more of a threat," he said, as Yukimura turned to me. "We've seen proof," he said, with a smile. I lowered my head to hide the embarrassment. Yukimura laughed at my reaction. "In a way, being the threat is the better way. At least enemies will ignore you when you go out into the world," he explained. I tilted my head in confusion. "Won't people ignore me if I become a threat to them? I feel that it'll be harder to defend others," I said, as Yukimura nodded. "It would be difficult to protect the people. But that doesn't mean you couldn't," he said, as I sat and looked forward in thought. "Wouldn't the people attack me then?" I asked as Yukimura looked forward again.  "Some probably would and that's why we try our hardest not to become a threat," he said, as I studied him. Yukimura looked back my way. "Something up?" he asked, as I shook my head. "I just wanted to apologize for the many questions," I said, as I looked back forward.  "Never apologize to me. You can bother me whenever. Alright?" he asked,  as I cracked a smile. "Alright," I said, as I looked forward again.