Chapter 7

"What do you mean it came from the book?" Nobuyuki asked as I started to back up. "OK. I didn't hear a voice when I opened the chest. Then when I found the book, I heard a woman yell, like a woman was right next to me" I said, as I felt my hands started to shake. This was starting to be a little too much to handle. Nobuyuki sighed as he picked up the book. "This one?" he asked as I nodded. He looked through it slowly, scanning every page as he went through it. After a moment of searching, he put the book towards me. "Harper. It's empty. There's nothing in here. No writing or anything" he said, as I started to settle down. I took deep, calming breaths as I watched him flip through the book. "But. I heard a voice, a woman's voice. It sounded like it was threatened" I explained as I sighed. Mitsunari sighed as he walked over to me and put his hand on my shoulder, as to let me know he was there. "Do you remember what the voice said?" he asked as I nodded. "It said 'don't take my child.' It was like a scream of being in stress. It sounded like it was in this room" I said, followed by a moment of silence. Nobuyuki looked through the book as he sighed. "Hmm. The book's completely empty. Harper, do you mind looking through the book again and see if something happens?" he asked as I nodded. "Sure. I'll try again" I said, as I took the book and looked through it. I flipped each page slowly as I studied the blank papers. I focused on not just the blank pages, but anything weird that happened. Mitsunari and Nobyouki stayed silent, due to letting me focus. I flipped to the last page as I noticed a folded up piece of paper sticking out of it. "What's this?" I asked as I picked up the paper. I put the book down as I studied it. "Open it, you have my permission," Nobuyuki said as I nodded. I started to open it slowly as I noticed it had some writing. When it was completely opened, I started to read out loud.

"My husband just went to finish putting the camping things out when the men attacked. Their horses were big and powerful. It made me scared as the baby started to cry. I covered her face as more horses entered the site and walked up to me. I was now surrounded by the men, but I continued to hold my child to protect her from the men. I ended up taking an escape but they just followed. They wouldn't leave me alone. I tried everything to protect her, chucking pots, knives and even a flaming wood from the fire. The people kept coming so I made a run for it when I saw him. He demanded me to give up my child but I refused. I ran with my child, almost breaking my neck on the way, just to get the baby away. But they just kept coming. What did they want with my child? I managed to hide the baby somewhere, as I cuddled her closely for the last time. I gave one last look as I ran out, hoping someone would find her and take care of her. My last words to my child were I love you."

When I was done reading the note, I heard it again. "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH ME, JUST DON'T HARM HER!" I heard as I dropped the note. My eyes widened as I started to shake, unable to even look up. "Harp? Harper, are you alright?" a voice asked as I started to shake. I was getting creeped out by the thought of all of this. Was I remembering something? "Harper, snap out of it. Talk to me" the voice said, as I looked up, then in the direction. Misunari was looking at me with a confused look. "Are you ok?" he asked as I looked down at the note. "The voice, it's back," I said, as I looked at the note. "What? Did you remember what it said?" he asked as I looked down. "It yelled don't harm her," I said, as I thought about the voice. I sat back as I leaned back on the chest. I felt like I heard the voice before, but I don't remember where. I sighed as I looked at the book again. I picked it up as I looked through it, not hearing anything. "It definitely came from the note," I said, as I put the book down. I studied the cover as I sighed. The warn out cover made me stare at it for a good amount of time. I strangely couldn't look away from it. I just felt like I was going into a trance, one that I couldn't break out of. "Harper?" Munari's voice said as I continue to stare. "Harper, snap out of it," he said as I saw what looked like a hand, spread out on the cover. It was white but looked transparent and hard to see against the book. It was molded into a fist but then opened back up to a high five. "Harper" Mitsunari said again, as I reached for the hand. Before I touched it, I winced and backed up. "Harper, calm down," Nobuyuki said, as he got next to me. "Did you see that?" I asked, freaking out as I looked at the book again.