xvi. chapter sixteen

chapter sixteen.
surprise visit

 ❛ surprise visit ❜

_____

          WEEKS UPON WEEKS had passed where the Avengers did nothing but plan. This was evident by the fact that some of them never even left the building, and some days spent the whole time figuring out where one stone would be.

The basic plan was to go back in time and each group would go to a certain time and pick up an infinity stone. Explaining where all the stones were at certain times was something Cosmo could help with, as she could see into that period of time and sense its immense power.

Cosmo usually hung back in most meetings, and when the day was done would disappear; nobody really knew where she'd go off to.

It seemed like Tony was the only one who was interested.

So, one evening after everyone was heading home or to their own rooms, as the sun was at the edge of the horizon, Tony slipped a tracker onto Cosmo's suit. Once she disappeared, he checked his laptop to see her still in New York.

"What the hell..." Tony mumbled under his breath, wiping his hand over his stubble in thought.

Once he realized the address she was at, it was clear to him why she was there.

Just over an hour drive later, he parked in front of the apartment building. Stepping out of his luxurious vehicle, Tony only had to take a few more steps before Cosmo appeared in front of him out of thin air.

"Jesus Christ!" Tony said, jolting at the surprise, his hand flying up to his chest. "Don't give this old guy a heart attack."

Cosmo had a hint of a smirk before her normal expression appeared. "You think I wouldn't know you tracked me?"

Tony rolled his eyes. "Right, that...cosmic I-know-everything crap..."

Cosmo tilted her head. He thought she'd for sure tell him to scram, but instead she said something else. "And you know why I'm here, don't you?"

"I had a hunch."

Cosmo's eyes fell to the ground. There was a moment of pause, and he waited for her to explain herself. "I don't go inside, you know. I never have."

Tony looked up at the only room with a light on in the tiny apartment building. "Why haven't you?"

"I can't."

"You can do anything."

Cosmo looked up at Tony, taking a deep breath. "They should never see their child as someone she's not. It isn't fair."

Tony took a moment to think before stepping closer to her. "I think they'd be better off knowing their daughter is somewhat fine, even if she's not alive anymore."