viii. chapter eight

chapter eight.
waiting game

 ❛ waiting game ❜

_____

PRESENT DAY.

     ALL THEY HAD to do was wait. Wait for their demise, or their victory. The plan had been settled, and all that was left was to wait. Unluckily for Arlyn, she's been paired alone with Peter to wait for Thanos to arrive. They were on top of a cliff, above where Strange would stand, waiting for Thanos to arrive. They had a pretty secluded area to rest, but to Arlyn it was the silence that hurt her most.

She knew he'd speak up sooner or later. "Arlyn, can we talk?"

Arlyn had been sitting on the ground, leaning against another red rock, fiddling with her energy between her fingers. "Do we have to do this now?"

Peter looked down on her, cross his arms. "Please, Arlyn. Why...why did you lie to me all this time?"

Arlyn let out a jagged sigh, standing up and pacing around, avoiding eye contact. The truth hung beneath the surface, begging to be released. As soon as she opened her mouth, there was no turning back.

"Because I couldn't tell you the truth about me. I-I didn't want you to be afraid of me, of what I could do, or...not be able to stop. The more I worked at the facility, the more I realized how bad it-how bad I was. I didn't want to stop working with you or...being with you at all."

Peter's soft gaze was on her, and she turned, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. "I can't lose you. And I can't lose myself in the process."

Peter shook his head, which was the last thing she thought he'd do. "Arlyn...I don't think you understand that you're not the only one feeling this way. You can't heal like I can, and you don't care if you get hurt. If you died, I'd probably lose my mind."

He finally took a breath, as Arlyn processed his words. "But we can't keep things from each other anymore. After we're done all this, I promise I'm gonna help you as much as I can, everyday, for however long it takes, to control your powers. I'd skip school, I-hell, I'd even put away the suit if it meant focusing on helping you."

Arlyn's breath hitched in her throat, eyes searching his, her heart aching. "You'd stop being Spider-Man for me?"

"Of course." There was not a single ounce of doubt in his voice.

Arlyn shook her head, letting out a laugh of disbelief before wiping away her tears, stepping towards him and pulling him in for a hug. Finally, they were able to breathe. Arlyn snaked her arms around his neck, as Peter clung to her waist. Her face dug into his warm neck, and his chin rested on her shoulder.

"I don't deserve you," she whispered, stroking the ends of his curls. "But you won't need to do that."

He pulled away, arms still tightly wrapped around her, face inches from hers. A confused look played on his face. "We'll figure it out, as we always do...as a team. I wouldn't want anybody else to be my partner but you."

Partner in crime, partner in life. Whatever it was, she wanted him, and him only.

And he felt the same way. "Really?" He asked, eyebrows raised and a smile tugging at his lips.

She shook her head in disbelief. "Pete, you are the kindest and bravest person I've ever met, and that itself is an understatement. Of course it's you, it'll always be you."

Peter leaned down, capturing her lips in a slow, yet passionate kiss, pushing so far into her he wouldn't have minded if he melted into her. Arlyn's hands roamed his hair, tugging at the curled strands, tilting her head for better access. Shivers ran down her neck, her face heating up at the warm contact. He never ceased to make her feel weak whenever they kissed, as her knees nearly buckled, but he kept her steady, hands running over her waist and back.

Arlyn pulled back for air, as Peter did the same, leaning his forehead on hers, breathing onto her smile.

"Now...let's go...kick that Titan's ass," Arlyn breathed out, as Peter laughed softly into her curls.

"Yeah, let's do that."

_____

sorry this was so short!!! this fic is almost over already, can i cry yet

#donthurtthemthanospls