the boyfriend

———————
  Silence. Even after she asked him why. It's just silent. Then he turns away, the wind starts to howl outside the window. She can feel a solid lump in her throat as the glass starts to shake. Tears start to form, this always happens to her.
  "What's wrong with you?" her voice comes out just barely above a whisper, the lump still blocking her airway. "Why do you keep me around if you don't even love me?"
  "I don't know," he says, his voice never wavering, almost with no emotion to it whatsoever.
  "You don't know?" she places her hand on her chest, her heart about to beat right out of her chest. She's never expressed herself like this around him, "What exactly does that have to with my question?"
  "It's because I don't know," he clenches his fists as the words come out of his mouth. "I don't want to loose you if I love you. You've heard the saying 'you don't know you love something until it's gone'? I don't want that to happen."
  "Then why make me stay so long...?" she casts her eyes down onto the floor, the texture mesmerizing her. "Why are you making me suffer so that you can make sure that you love me? Haven't you heard the saying that 'if you love something, let it go'? Stop making everything about you! If you keep hurting me to find out if you love me, I won't love you! What's the point of loving someone if they don't love you back?"
The man slowly turns around, and when he sees her expression his emotionless face crumbles. He walks back over to her, and reaches out, trying to pull her into his arms. She holds up her hand, making him stop in his tracks, waiting for him to speak, "I don't want you to comfort me, I want you to explain. Why were you with that girl? Are you truly doing to test how much you love me, or how much I love you? Do you still not believe me when I tell you that nothing went on with me and Ace?"
"Don't. Don't say that man's name," he looks away from her, knowing that there's nothing he can say. And the fact that she's saying another guy's name making him angry for a reason he can't understand. "This isn't about him."
"Then what is it about?" she hears the wind claw at the window again as the storm outside gets progressively worse. "Why did we move far away? Why can't I get a job? Why are you isolating me if it isn't about him? If it isn't about the fact that you don't trust me?"
"Because I just don't want to lose you. The thought of you leaving scared me. The thought of you with another man makes me upset..." he says softly, choking on his anger that's slowly coming to a boiling point. Everything is always about her. All the time, that's all they fight about. Is it so wrong for him to want a break from her, but not to lose her? "I want you..."
"But you don't know if you love me," she finishes for him, the rock in her throat gone, but now it seems he has one in his. As silence engulfs them, everything starts to make more sense. "All you're doing is stringing me along, I'm sick of it."
She goes to move past him, but his hand wraps around her forearm. His grip so hard, she's sure it'll leave a bruise, "Where do you think you're going?"
"I'm leaving," she swallows hard, trying to make sure her voice doesn't waver. "You-"
"No, you're not. You're staying right here," his voice comes out dark, forceful, as his grip on her tightens.
"You're hurting me," she stares at him, before he pulls her towards the bedroom. "What are you doing? Let me go! I don't want this!"

-