the call

His phone started to ring, so he picked it up, not even bothering to look at the caller id. He just needed someone to talk to. All of a sudden it felt like his life was falling apart.
"Hello?" he could hear his voice crack. "Who is this?"
"My name's (Y/n), I'm looking for (bf/n), but think I called the wrong number," a female voice floated through the receiver. "But... uhm... you don't sound okay. Do you need someone to talk to? I'm here, you don't know me... but I won't judge you. In fact, feel free to tell me anything because it's not like we'll ever meet. Don't worry about feeling embarrassed."
"Okay..." he pulled his legs up to his chest and let a sigh. "Well... you've probably heard of Gol D. Roger... and... quite frankly, I hate that man."
  She realized from his silence that he was waiting for her to respond. "Actually, I live under a rock. I've never heard of that name before..."
"Really?" he wiped his nose and only continued after she hums. "Promise me that you won't look him up after this. If you do, it'll be hard to not judge me... because that man is my blood father..."
  "I doubt that I'd judge you because of your lineage," her voice sounded soft before she let out a small sigh. "But I promise. If it makes you feel better that there is someone who doesn't know..."
  "Well, he ruined my life... because of him... I've had to endure so many hardships," he started to dig his nails into his knee as he held onto his phone; his lifeline. "People tell me all the time that he should never have been born. That he's the scum of the earth. If that's true, then what does that make me?"
  "I just don't even know what the purpose of going on anymore is. I try so hard to push past all these feelings... but it's so hard," he felt the tears run down his cheeks. No one had ever seen him like this, and he wanted to keep it that way. "I can't do anything by myself. I'm constantly relying on others to help me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong."
  "I just feel so worthless," he took in a jagged breath. "I was never meant to live... I'm just here in this world... taking up space."
  A silence fell between them. For the man sitting on his bed in the complete dark, it's uncomfortable. He had just told her everything, some things he hasn't even told Pops, "You know what, just-"
  "Living is hard isn't it?" he heard air rush around her and possible springs as her body hit something. "Being able to love yourself is even harder. Even when it seems like the whole world is against you. Breathing gets difficult after a while."
  "But know something... when you become something they can't, when you do something no one else can, when you prove every last one of them wrong..." he placed his head in between his knees as he tried to focus on the words she was telling him. "It makes you feel good, but no one will accept it, and they'll only start to throw accusations at you. All that matters in this world is you."
  "Only you can change the way you are. If you're happy with the way you are, there's no need to change. And if you're not, change it," she sighed, it was soft, it have him the feeling that she's had to tell all this to herself before. "You can't change where you come from though... and if those people hate you because of your father... fuck them. They have no room to judge you for your family," he reached over to his nightstand and grabbed a tissue. "Before you can love someone you need to love yourself. Remember that."
  "As for everything else, you're not doing anything wrong. No one can do anything on their own. Humans, whether or not you want to believe it, are pack animals. We seek people who will help us and accept us regardless of what we did or didn't do," she let out another sigh. "You deserved to be born. Everyone did. There's not one of us that didn't. You've done nothing wrong. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."
  "Thanks..." he mumbled. Hearing all of that from a stranger, probably shouldn't have meant much. But for some reason he was thankful someone out there didn't hate him because who his father was.
  "You're welcome," she let out a sigh and smiled to herself. "Good luck with everything."
  Before he had time to tell her his name, she hung up. He fell back in bed, she was the nicest person he ever met. He looks at his call history to see her phone number. Unknown Number 11:45 PM

-