the borderline

The warmth that Luffy's embrace filled Ace with hit him like a wave. At first, he was thrown back by how sudden the impact was, but then he was pulled in. He could feel himself being dragged into his younger brother, the hard exterior he had put on growing soft and being washed away.
"Hey Luffy," he wraps his arms around him and lingers in the hug. "How was yesterday without me? Sorry that I couldn't make it... I really didn't fee-"
"Don't apologize! It's totally fine!" Luffy stares into his brother's eyes trying to figure out if what he's saying was actually true. "If you don't feel well, don't push yourself! All that matters is that you're better! You... are better... right?"
Ace's eyes wander over to (Y/n), who is standing by her desk looking over at the boys. When she notices Ace's stare, she quickly averts her gaze down. Suddenly, he feels guilty. He shouldn't have taken his anger out on her, it wasn't her fault that the world hates him.
"Yeah," he turns his head back to Luffy and nods, forcing a smile on his face. "I'm much better. Thanks for asking, but I need to do something... I'll be right back."
Luffy goes to say something, but Ace already takes off with the thermos in his hands. Once he gets to her, she looks up and then, again looks away. She avoids his eyes before taking a deep breath, "Listen, Ace, I'm sorry about yesterday. I went to your home without fully grasping the situation and made my own assum-"
"You have no reason apologizing. I was being irrational. I don't know what came over me, just..." he hands her the container, before he continues to speak, "Here. You forgot that this has your name on it. It was good, by the way. You're a great cook, (Y/n). I bet your boyfriend is happy to have you."
He smiles once more before he turns and walks away. Why did he bring up her boyfriend? Now he can feel his heart aching again. That was so foolish of him.
He lets out another sigh as his computer boots up. His eyes burn from the computer light hitting them, so he lets them close before one more breath escapes his mouth. He feels someone's hand on his back, so he jolts up and then smiles at the woman it belongs to, "Hey, Robin."
"Are you feeling well, Ace? Would you like to go home?" she tilts her head, her long black hair falling slightly from behind her ear. "You didn't look so hot when you came in... and then Luffy tackled you..."
"I'm fine. Thanks, Robin," he forces a small smile and laughs slightly. "I needed to be here today in order for Luffy to not bombard my home and overreact."
"Alright..." she retracts her hand from his back and brushes her hair back behind her ear, her blue eyes piercing him. "If you don't feel well at anytime of the day, just tell me and go home. I'll make sure Luffy understands that you need your rest. Take care, Ace. Don't be too hard on yourself."
She smiles one last time at him, and he can't help but feel like it was a threat. Another small smile draws to his face, but it actually seemed to feel real, so he calls out to her, "Don't worry, Robin. I just needed some time. Thanks for worrying about me, but I'll be fine."

For now.

-