Chapter Sixty

The persistent beeping of my phone woke me Sunday, notifying me of missed messages. I fumbled on the nightstand, not wanting to wake up. My eyes burned and felt red-rimmed from the crying I'd been unable to curb during my waking hours. A quick glance at my pillow confirmed what the dampness I'd felt indicated: I'd cried in my sleep from dreams I was grateful I didn't remember.

I texted Maible that I'd see her at school tomorrow, not bothering to read what she wrote. I didn't have the brain power to talk knowing that I'd have to censor what I said. Not like she'd remember. I groaned at the reminder of yet another thing to add to my already full to do list.

I scrolled through the messages, opening one from an unknown caller: GOT MAIL SENT FOR YOU. –C.

A fresh wave of tears came over me and I buried my face in the pillows again, not understanding where the hormonal surges had suddenly come from. It must be that I no longer expected good things to happen. When they did... Well, I cried over it. It was unreasonable and totally ridiculous, but I couldn't help it. I'd hardened myself to expect the worse so now the good set me off.

Besides, one good thing reminded me of all the bad that remained.

*****

The next morning, I slept in and didn't get out of bed until Mrs. Renaldi came to find me. If it wasn't for having to pick Maible up, I would have bailed. My body felt completely drained, like I hadn't slept at all. Still, I forced myself into the shower and got ready.

A couple of hours later, I walked into Law with determination.

If I was here, I was going to put what Calin's mother had told me to use and help Sarah—she shouldn't have to suffer because nobody would stick up to Duvessa. I could do it right in class with no one the wiser. Hopefully, by the time she left for the day, she'd be back to being one of the shiny, flawless beauties that roamed the halls of Grimas High.

Maybe Duvessa would think Sarah had helped herself and she'd be scared to try to curse her again.

I did exactly what I had with Calin when I'd hurt my ankle. I imagined the magic itself cloaked, though it was harder to disguise it with the essence of paper rather than nature. I visualized her as I had met her and knew she should be now. It wasn't hard, really. I stared at the back of her head so hard I swear she squirmed with unease. Just before the bell rang, I felt the tingles of success rush through me.

She brought her hand to her cheek and rubbed the skin, shaking her head slightly before hiding behind her hair once more. As we left class, I watched her walk away and smiled with satisfaction when she ducked into the washroom.

I turned to walk into Math and ran into Calin's chest. His strong hands cupped my shoulders to steady me and my heart flipped in my chest. I might have been able to fix Sarah's skin problem but there had been nothing I could do for my own after a weekend of crying. No amount of concealer had hidden the puffiness and red splotches I'd woken to find.

"You look terrible," Calin said, confirming my suspicions. "Did you get my text?"

I nodded and turned to walk away, pausing only to say, "Thank you."

* * * * *

"Sit down, Noreena," Devland ordered as he pointed to one of the wooden chairs surrounding the bare table.

I shrugged my bag off my shoulder and sat wordlessly in the chair opposite the one he had indicated, masking all expression with neutrality I didn't feel. I put my hands on top and stared ahead. Whatever it was they'd called me in here for, I was ready.

Not that it had been easy. Usually, when they figured it was time for one of our little chats, they called me out of class, embarrassing me in front of everyone in the room. I hadn't imagined they could humiliate me any further, but today I'd been summoned during lunch. Since there hadn't been a classroom to take me from, they'd announced it through the intercom system—in front of the whole school.