Chapter 40

"What color are your eyes?" Maible asked, staring at our reflections in the mirror of my vanity as we got ready to go for supper with Devland that evening.

"Green and blue." I shrugged, brushing my hair until it was shiny.

Instead of dropping Maible off at home, we'd stopped at Celestial Java. After a while, it had felt like I'd always known her. Maible was so easy to talk to, it seemed natural that we'd decided to come back to the Manor. For the first time, I realized there were perks that came with being Devland's daughter—everyone in Wickenton knew who he was. So, when Maible asked her parents if she could spend the night, the response was given without resistance.

"That's a nice mix with your dark hair."

"It's not a mix."

She set down her brush and turned in her chair to scrutinize me. "How so?"

"One is green, one is blue." I leaned closer in my chair so that she could see for herself.

"Holy shit, you're right." She sat back and then forward again, fascinated. "Did you know that you have some sort of purple, too? Is that contacts?"

"Nope, all me, though I wear contacts."

"That's so cool."

I turned to back to the mirror, taking stalk. Now that she'd mentioned it, I spotted the difference in coloring right away. The ring, which had been just a shadow a few weeks ago, had lightened again. There wasn't any grey left, though the hue remained subdued, nowhere near the vibrancy of my mother's eyes. It was like I had somehow connected with my mother in a way that was unique only to us. It would have been nice to share this with her. She'd always said it would happen one day.

"It's so cool that your dad is taking us out for supper."

When we'd made plans, I thought it would be nice not to have to go it alone, but obviously, she felt some level of adoration for the man. "Devland."

"Pardon me?"

"He's Devland," I said. "He seems so cool and whatever because he's the leader of the High Council, but I just met him. Not as the leader, but as the father who's been absent from my life for the past seventeen years. We haven't worked up to dad and... I can't picture him that way."

"Devland it is." She nodded in support, though I could tell that she wasn't committed. "I'm sorry."

"No worries. I know you are excited to go for supper with him, and he is the leader of the High Council." I nudged her leg with my foot and we both started to laugh. If he wasn't my so-called father, I would probably be stoked, too.

"I am." She rolled her eyes. "But he seems so stuffy all the time. Is he any different when he's with you?"

"I'd have to see him with someone other than Miss Rose to be able to tell you that. All we've done so far is bicker. First about me coming here and then about school and my phone, but I'm sure we'll find out tonight." I forced confidence that I didn't feel. "He wouldn't dare be rude in front of company."

"Okay, now I am a little scared to go."

"I'm just joking."

I stood to face my closet packed full of clothes at our backs. "Wanna borrow something to wear for supper?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes!"

We laughed, her with delight as she ran to rifle through the racks and me as I watched her, as happy as a child who'd discovered an unlimited supply of candy. Sure, it was good as you enjoyed it, but if you weren't careful, it would rot your teeth and make you sick.