Chapter 33

Until my mother's death, the nasty side of me had been content with Zachariah. Without him, I had to exert my energies elsewhere. Besides, this lady was an uppity.... yeah. Being the 'house manager' didn't make her the Lady of the House.

"Let's go take a look, hmm?" Devland started for the stairs without waiting for an answer. "Your rooms are on the second floor, beginning at the first door to the right of the stairs. Gerard or Mr. Bishop will carry your things up later."

"Who are they?" I asked.

"Gerard is the butler and has been for many years. Before your father was born, I think. Mr. Bishop is the new groundskeeper. I'm sure he is a better fit to carry up her packages, Mr. Dwyer. He's still in his twenties and as strong as an ox," Miss Rose explained. "He knows his place, though, so don't you worry about him bothering you, Miss Dwy—err, Fallyn. He's a good boy."

"Knows his place? What is this? Medieval times? I don't care about his position, Miss Rose. I like to think I judge people by their actions and not their social standing," I said and felt justified when Miss Rose's face pinked. "At least, that's what my mother expected of me, and she was a true lady."

We made our way to my suite on the second floor in silence.

The rooms were amazing. Before I could finish admiring one thing, Devland or Miss Rose started pointing out something better. The first room that we entered was a posh sitting room equipped with leather couches and matching recliners. The solid oak coffee table in front of the main couch was circular and could rise to two levels, and there were two end tables that flanked each end of the main couch to match. All of this faced a white stone fireplace where a 41" plasma television was connected to every kind of game system I'd heard of. The floors were hardwood, devoid of rugs, and the lighting within the room was subdued by wall sconces with adjustable switches.

Behind the couches, there were a handful of games that you'd see in an arcade: a pool table with cue sticks racked in a holder secured to the wall, a foosball table, pinball machine, and ping pong table. The entire wall ahead was covered in a dark blue velvet curtain. When Devland noticed where I was looking, he picked up a remote from the coffee table, and after only a few pushes of the buttons, the curtains swung aside to reveal a wall of clear windows overlooking the backend of the Manor. There was a door on the far right leading to the balcony.

Miss Rose beckoned me into the next room via a door placed beside the fireplace. I followed into a room that was just as large as the sitting room. In its center, and across from the door's entryway, sat a tall, king-sized canopy bed with transparent fabric hanging from each of its posts. It looked welcoming piled high with pastel pillows and a thick white comforter. To my left was a shelving unit that ran the length of the entire wall with a small desk equipped with a computer placed in the middle.

Another wall of windows was on the right with a door leading to the same balcony reachable from the sitting room. The bulge near its middle under the curtain must be a window seat. It was something to look forward to, though I hadn't realized its novelty until faced with having one of my own. The only other furniture was a black nightstand with two drawers with a digital alarm clock on top.

"I think I'm going to have to get some dressers for my clothes," I said. "Otherwise they are never coming off the floor. No offense, Miss Rose, but I will do my own cleaning. I'm a very private person."

"That won't be a problem," Devland said with a mischievous grin. "Your tour isn't over."

I followed them into another room attached through a door to the left of my new bed. Inside I found the most luxurious bathroom that a girl could dream of. It had the same type of Jet tub that I had at my mother's, doubled in size. Against the wall to the left side of the door was a standing shower with two showerheads that had changeable pressure options. There would be no more running from upstairs to down for bathroom amenities when I wanted a bath in lieu of a shower. Above the double sink was a huge mirror that morphed into a full-length version of itself where the counter stopped. Everything was grand and crafted in gray marble. The flooring, however, was a sparkling black, which was so clean I could eat from it without shame.