Chapter 5

Dedication because YOU WERE THE FIRST TO COMMENT! <3 Go you hehe

Chapter 5

    Once I stepped into a pair of grey sweat pants and pulled a thin, long-sleeved v-neck sweatshirt over my damp head, I took a deep breath and opened my bedroom door. The small coffee table in front of my TV was already overflowing with a vast array of junk foods and sweets.

    Sarah and Matthew were chatting quietly on the floor and fell silent when I plopped onto the far left end of the couch. Matthew’s grey eyes met mine briefly before he turned back to the bag of potato chips he coddled in his lap. “Let’s get this show on the road,” I said a little too harshly.

    Sarah raised a fiery eyebrow at me as she crawled to the television and grabbed the original Night of the Living Dead from my massive movie collection and plopped it into my DVD player.

    What could I say? I loved movies, and I especially loved zombie movies.

    As the movie began, Sarah inched closer and with a bright smile, she dropped a bag of fresh baby carrots into my lap. I smiled down at her. “Thank you.”

    She waved me away as she settled back onto the floor next to Matthew. “Don’t worry about it. I knew you wouldn’t eat any of the stuff I bought, so I figured I would buy you a little something special.”

    I opened my mouth to tell her thank you once more for being so thoughtful, but Matthew spun around from his spot on the floor on the far right of the couch and spoke, interrupting me. “You don’t eat junk food?”

    As I shook my head, Matthew’s mouth fell open in disbelief. “I don’t eat anything unhealthy,” I said matter-of-factly.

    Matthew blinked a few times. “Um. Why?”

    Choosing to opt out of telling the southern boy about my goal of strengthening my psychic powers, I went with a simple, “It’s bad for you.”

    Matthew rolled his eyes and turned his attention to the movie once more. “I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone our age who doesn’t eat junk food,” he said after a long moment.

    I couldn’t help the small smile that pulled at my lips. It seemed like when something found its way onto Matthew’s mind, he had a hard time letting it go. “It’s not that big’a deal, southern boy.”

    Matthew spun around and loudly chomped on his potato chips. “You’re missing out, Oregon boy.” He smiled as he reached into the depths of the bag and crammed a handful of chips into his gaping mouth.

    I smiled back at him and plopped a carrot into my mouth, mimicking his loud crunching. “Mm,” I said with my mouth full, “tasty and healthy.”

    Matthew licked his fingers, making a somewhat disgusting slurping sound after each finger. “Unhealthy and delicious,” he said with a final smack of his full lips.

    Sarah elbowed me in my thigh suddenly and shot a dangerous glare toward Matthew. “Can you two please shut up? This is my favorite part!”

    Matthew and I giggled as we both turned our attention to the movie. “They’re comin’ for you, Sarah,” I said, mocking the movie. Just as Sarah turned her freckled face to me, I pounced on top of her, tackling her to the ground and yelling, “They’re comin’ for you, Sarah,” over and over.

    “Get off me you big doofus!” Sarah groaned, but despite the scowl twisting her soft features, she began to laugh.

    “Never, you wicked witch!” I called out as I began to poke at her sides, sending her into an instant fit of uncontrollable giggles.