Birthdays

Birthdays, what's to celebrate on a simple day? Certain dates on their personal calendars marked with a big X. I always ask it, for never in my life I was grateful I was born. But for you people, how are you still celebrating your life despite how miserable, how pitiful, how ugly you are?

No, no, do not get me wrong. I'm not referring to your asymmetrical faces or dysmorphic bodies. Your physiques trying to glorify to strangers on a virtual spiderweb, nor features trying to exhibit for the highest bidder in an auction. But, your being, as a human; fragile ugly creatures, walking ignorantly with blind eyes.

I am sincerely confounded on the thought of it the other day. It's not suicidal tendencies, but the thought makes me want to die. For when you die, you'll get cured from this illusory, chimerical reality. All your efforts to build your edifices would soon crumble into dust, left bereft, all for nothing but naught.

Like those born in leap year or those who wasn't even born. Since February 29 only happens once every four years, now, that certain person is only six years old. That means, if you can't keep up, he can only live a quarter of a person’s life. And those who never managed to step their foot onto this very earth, they're kinda lucky, (I'm envious) but for some reason, it was tragic they weren't born. Aren't you grateful that their shot for suffering was a miss?

For those people, here's my wish. I want you to give them twice more of that love or hate you could ever give. They don't need anything else. Besides, what you commonly get is food and consumable trash, and a silly birthday cake with a candle in the middle it. And here I thought that's a metaphor for sacrificial rituals of various cults.

But you know, you could just disregard my ramblings and forget about it. I’m just a human being who doesn’t think of anything about the day they we're born. I didn't ask to be born. I didn't ask for this tragedy.

(Ah, but what can I do? I could only just laugh for what I know)

note : this piece is my re-imagined version of one of Sui Ishida's (author of Tokyo Ghoul) poem