Chapter 18 - Angels

Start from the beginning

The beast had almost escaped, but before it could avoid it, its body was consumed in the rain of brick and wood. Trapping Zinx underneath.

I ran over to its side. Trying to find any limbs jutting out. The only hints that led someone into thinking that something was trapped underneath here were the shiny black scales littered everywhere. And before I could pick one up, a groan made me look over to my right. Half of a body was visible, and within the eyes of the one pinned under stone was regret and longing.

"Zinx?"

His eyes flickered upwards. The one I had hit seemed to have been unaffected.

"This hurts," he complained. His left arm weakly scratching at the rubble on top of him.

I pressed my lips into a line. And after contemplating for a short while, I began pushing the things off the assassin. Finally relieving his pain after shoving a piece of ceiling off of his lower body.

"How did I get here?" asked Zinx. His every breath coming out more ragged and forced.

"You flew, Zinx. You flew," I answered.

He seemed to like that answer a lot, for he closed his eyes and smiled. Opening them back up into a more neutral expression.

"I'm sorry," he said. Letting his gaze fall upon me full of guilt at his rage-born actions.

I couldn't answer without my voice cracking. And instead of replying normally, I fell to my knees. "I'm sorry too! I destroyed your life! I destroyed my life, and Samuel's life, and Petra's life, and Oluo's life! I have killed so many people, and it's all my fault!"

Zinx shrugged his shoulders. "I've killed a lot of people too. I try not to think about it that much, but it still hurts."

"B-but I killed Samuel. He wanted to tell you that he l-loved you," I said with a more strained voice. Trying not to burst into tears, and forcing myself not to sound broken.

"Love," Zinx said with distaste. "Love isn't really a thing, you know?"

"Yes it is!"

"It isn't really. It's just the urge to mate with a certain individual,"

I balled my fists. "So you don't even care that-that... Sammy loved you?!"

"Why did you call him Sammy?" Zinx asked. Trying his best to sit upright.

"Because we got his phone. Hange showed me some messages and other things."

Zinx smiled. "He was something different, I ought to tell you that. I'll see him soon."

"What do you mean?" I asked. Scanning over the assassin's body to find nothing but cuts and bruises.

"I'm in a lot of pain right now. I learned to suppress it so I can stay alive in fights, but I'm dying on the inside. I am going to die."

"No you aren't. I don't want to be the cause of another death, Zinx."

He sighed. "I'm not going to let you try and save me."

"Why?!"

"Because I need to see Sammy."

I couldn't help anything from spilling out now. Both Zinx and I were shedding tears. His were silent, and mine were filled with heartbroken sobs. I've caused so many deaths. And they're all my fault.

"Stop crying for me, Eren," Zinx said quietly. Trying his hardest to keep his smile through all the physical and emotional pain.

"I can't help it! Without me, you and Samuel would be living happy ever after! The end! No Eren to ruin your guys' lives!"