Chapter 18

"Loki!" Thor's voice thundered through the heavy door of Loki's room. A second later the door swung open and Thor stormed in. His tense features softened immediately when he saw Ivy and his brother curled up between the books on the bed, a mess of green and black. He hadn't seen Loki asleep in forever and it made him happy to see that finally his brother could rest. Thor decided to let them sleep, they deserved it after all, and went to leave the room.

A few hours later he came back though to find them in the same position as before. Only this time, he sadly would have to wake them.

"Uhm... ehh... Guys?" He said awkwardly before repeated himself a little bit louder.

Loki let out a sigh, lifting his head and then looked over Ivy's sleeping body to Thor. "Of course you came back... Who does Odin wish to see?"

"Both of you..." Thor shrugged. "But I don't think he will put either of you in prison again."

Loki rolled his eyes and sat up carefully, waking up Ivy in the process. "We saved his life and he is kind enough to not arrest us. Wow."

"Oh come on, hear what he has to say. He's waiting." Thor's voice seemed almost apologetic.

"He's old enough to show some patience." Ivy yawned and rolled out of bed.

"Well, I will leave you to get ready. He's waiting in the throne room." Thor said and turned to leave. "But don't let him wait too long or he might change his mind about the prisons..."

Then he closed the door behind him, leaving Loki and Ivy alone.

Ivy stretched and combed through her hair with her fingers until Loki took both of her hands in his, pulling her against his chest.

With a smile, she stood on her tiptoes and met his lips in a gentle kiss. After a way too short time, Loki pulled back and smiled at Ivy. "Sorry, darling, but I will never let you go now if you keep kissing me like that..."

In an instant Ivy's lips were on his once more, this time with more passion and desperation. Loki only smiled against her lips before returning the kiss.

This time it was Ivy who pulled away and smirked up at Loki. "I would be very disappointed indeed if you ever did."

Without any more words they headed out the door and towards the throne room, getting a few weird glances from people in the hallways.

As soon as they entered the great room, Ivy felt tense. Everything was huge and golden and there were too many guards to fight. She took a defensive position without even thinking about it.

Loki placed an arm around her waist once they stood in front of the throne, making her relax a little bit. "I see you're not dead." He said coldly, looking at Odin with an emotionless face. "What is it that you want?"

"For once, I wish to thank you, my son." His voice echoed through the room even though he wasn't talking particularly loud. "You have done your king great service. And you have made your father proud." He made a short dramatic pause. "I came to realize I was too harsh on you. You are not at fault for some else's crimes. Thus, I would like to offer you your place back in the palace."

Loki rose an eyebrow. "How very kind of you." His voice was dripping with sarcasm. "But to be honest, we didn't save you for your sake. Not for my father nor for our king."

Now it was Odin's turn to frown, but before he could speak up Loki continued.
"I did it for Thor. And Ivy did it because of her sheer kindness. And believe me, I couldn't have done it without Ivy." His voice was still calm for he had no reason to be angry nor unsure. He had made his mind up about quite a few things. "So, my king, but you should thank her instead of me."

Odin's face fell, the disappointment and annoyance obvious in his features. "Loki, I..."

"No, father, he is right." Thor interrupted him. "Ivy saved you and risked her life by doing so!"

Ivy almost snorted at the exaggeration. She leaned close to Loki's ear, whispering. "I actually risked everyone else's life by using my kind of magic."

Loki smirked, but didn't take his eyes off of Odin. "Let's not tell him that."

Odin ignored Ivy and spoke to Thor only. "But that does not mean she has redeemed herself from her crimes."

Ivy sighed. "Look, I'm not necessarily proud of what I did, but it wouldn't have been necessary in the first place if your guards hadn't been so covetous and disgusting about preying on me." Her voice was so matter-of-fact that it made Loki snort and Thor's jaw drop.

"I have no idea what the child is speaking of, but I'm sure she is lying anyway. Criminals cannot be trusted, I hope you know that." He looked at Thor, but glanced over at Loki as well. "I expect her to leave Asgard or she will have to face trial."

"But father!" Thor replied, looking at Loki for assistance. "She saved your life!"

Loki was beyond angry and his hold of Ivy's waist got almost painful. He was used to being mistreated, but he would not let Odin mistreat Ivy.

"Father..." He spoke so calmly it sounded utterly dangerous. The whole room fell silent at his words. "I have a very simple offer to make."

Thor rose an eyebrow and he feared what was to follow. Ivy also looked surprised. She had expected him to shout or fight or do anything but bargain.

"I see you have exactly two problems." He started and took a few steps forward, making the guards tense and prepare to attack. "One: Me. Two: Ivy. We do not fit into your picture-perfect kingdom."

Odin observed him curiously. "So what do you propose I do about it?"

"Banish us. To Midgard." Loki said seriously, standing eye to eye with Odin now.

"And what are your conditions?" Odin asked.

"I have one single condition." Loki replied and turned around to face Ivy. "Let me marry her."