xxxiv

ϟ

ϟ

"You have to learn the rules of the game,

and you have to play better than anyone else."

—Albert Einstein
ϟ

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Atlas sighed, giving in to the adorable Blake girls pouty face. "Fine. But you owe me big time."

Octavia claps her hands and brings Atlas in for a hug. "Thank you! I'll repay you, promise."

Octavia lets go of the girl and takes her hand, pulling her towards the smokehouse they built. Atlas looks at the small building with distaste.

A few minutes had gone by and Del barges into the small shack exclaiming, "Let's get this party smoking!"

Octavia spares a glance with Atlas, both already irritated with the rude and immature boy. "You don't want the fire too big. So maybe just try to knock it down with some wet leaves."

"You get that from your boyfriend, Grounder pounder?" Del smirks, chucking lightly at his own words.

"At lease she's getting some, Del. The same can't be said for you and that just goes to show you're just a sad lowlife picking on others because your poor ego can't let anyone else be better."

Del turns towards Atlas with a glare, who doesn't move from her position to spare him a look from cutting up meat. "Really think I'm gonna let a murder talk to me like that? You may be in the position of a leader, Atlas, but don't believe people all of a sudden think of you as a saint."

"Fuck off, Del." Octavia hisses, turning towards the boy in anger. "You're just mad you're stuck with your miserable life and will never amount it anything. So turn your ass around and be careful with the fire."

Del scoffs and turns, muttering, "whatever."

"She's right." Murphy cuts in, surprising both the girls. "A hot fire is not gonna preserve the meat as well."

"You can't take the heat, get out of the smokehouse. Should be kissing our asses for being allowed back in this camp. Just keep working." With his words, Del makes his way out of the smokehouse.

"I don't have to do jack shit of what he says." Atlas growls, not happy with the boy's attitude. "I should go out there and kick his ass right now. Teach him a lesson on respect."

"That would be a sight to see," Octavia laughs.

Murphy, who had seemed to brush off Dels rude comment, continues helping around. "Your brother couldn't get you a better job? Would think anything would be better than working in the meat furnace."