The Meeting

Rey ran back along the trail, tears trailing down her face, snot running down her chin. Her mind was fuzzy from shock, all she could do was try to get as far away from Rose's farmhouse as possible. As she sprinted, she grew hot, stripping off her robin's egg colored cardigan leaving it on the road as she ran. Her hair was a mess, barely staying together by a few bobby pins and a robin's egg tinted ribbon. Finally, about a quarter mile from her house, Rey slowed to a walk, the anger and tension in her body finally being having all but drained from her body. All that was left in her was exhaustion, emptiness, and a sense of betrayal. Rey trotted, picking up one high heeled adorned foot after another, slowly inching towards home. 

As the back of the house came into sight, Rey saw the house for what it really was to her. It was simply a place in which she was a guest, she was never given any really power or authority as Finn's wife because she was only ever so in name. She would never be the lady of the house, Rose would always get the control as she was the one who controlled Finn's heart. All Rey was was a little girl who had been picked to play a part and in return was given a fake title, husband, and house. At the realization, tears pricked Rey's eyes again, starting the flow of waterworks again. In that moment, Rey knew that the only person who hadn't lied to her was Ren. As bad as he was, being German and all, at least he was open about his job, what type of person he was, and who he had to be for work. Rey knew she desperately needed to find him, he would understand, he would know how to console her, make all her pain go away. Noting that Ren had told her earlier that day that he would return to the house around mid-afternoon and be in his office doing important work and was not to be disturbed, Rey picked up speed as she approached her house. Surely, he could spare a few minutes for her, thought Rey. Rey opened the backdoor, quickly reveling in the coolness of the air inside, and walked up the stairs. Without a second thought, mind numb from the emotional day, Rey turned towards Ren's office door and quickly opened it. Inside, to Rey's surprise, were four German commanders and Ren, clustered around the desk with a large map on it. 

Ren and his commanders turned in surprise as they heard the door handle creek. Damn it; Ren had given specific instructions not to be disturbed, yet it seemed that someone had forgotten. As Ren saw the door slowly open, he prayed silently that the culprit would not go unpunished as he and his commanders had only just came to the realization of how the French Resistance were smuggling goods along la ligne de demarcation (WWII border between free France and occupied France). Shit! This interruption would cause a distraction and it would take hours to reach the same level of productivity just recently achieved. However, when Ren saw Rey's blotchy and surprised face peer out from the other side of the doorframe, he immediately melted. There she was. His angel. Her arms were exposed, her cardigan missing, her hair was a mess and pieces were slicked back around her face with sweat, her eyes were rimmed with red; yet somehow she looked perfect, like an angel. The other commanders were quick to notice as well. Ren saw some of the men run their eyes over her, obviously pleased by what they saw. Ren needed Rey out of here, before any of these men became too besotted with Rey.

"Mademoiselle,  I believe I notified you as well as the rest of the household this morning that I was not be disturbed this afternoon. I am sure whatever has caused you to come into my office, can wait until the room is no longer occupied and in use by important german officials" Ren said sternly, locking eyes with Rey. 

"Désolé Monsieur, I thought you would be reviewing paperwork, I did not mean to interrupt a meeting. Désolé again, Excuse-moi Monsieur" Rey said, blushing from head to toe. She quickly shut the door, face and body burning from not only the embarrassment, but the way the other commanders gazed at her body.