25. Head Games

Colors of the Wind

"Why is there a dead werewolf in your living room?"

I swing the door open to the Salvatore house and my heart sinks down

I swing the door open to the Salvatore house and my heart sinks down. Mason's limp body leans against a wooden chair in front of the fireplace and his heart is in Damon's hand.

"Why is there a dead werewolf in your living room?" I ask with concern and Damon perks up his head, meeting my eyes.

"Ah, you know. I had to take care of business," Damon shrugs his shoulders with a carefree tone and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Sorry, let me rephrase that. Why is my ex boyfriend dead in your living room?" I scoff out, placing my hands on my hips.

"Bonnie and Caroline are finding the moonstone which Katherine wants. Mason told me she's going to use it to lift the curse for Mason, but that is bull. She was using him for the moonstone, why she actually wants it...is beyond me," Damon announces with a firm tone and I lower my head.

Suddenly my phone starts ringing and I rummage for it in my back pocket. I answer the call from Elena and Damon shoots me a glance.

"You need to come to the hospital now," she demands with a shaky voice and my stomach twists into uneasy knots.

"Why? What's going on?" I ask with concern and Damon takes a step closer to me.

"It's Jenna. Katherine compelled her to stab herself, I think she's going to be okay, but I don't know. I need you, Sam," Elena cries out, her sobs coming through over the phone. My heart skips a beat and Damon's eyes widen.

"I'll be there," I reassure her, before hanging up. Damon swipes the keys off the coffee table and makes no hesitation to head out the door as I follow behind him.

I chew on my fingernails nervously as Damon zooms down the road, one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand tapping on his leg. I glance outside the window at the large hospital in the distance and Damon clears his throat.

"What she did to Jenna was desperate, okay? I riled her up, it's my fault," he informs me, pulling into an empty parking spot. I gaze into his blue eyes and I shake my head rapidly.

"It's not your fault, Damon. Mason tried to kill you and Stefan and me plenty of times, he kind of deserved it," I sigh out, climbing out of the car. Damon follows behind me, a slight frown on his pale face and runs his fingers through his raven hair.

"I know," he mumbles out, lowering his head as we enter the chilly hospital. My eyes dart around as we walk down the hallway.

"You know, she doesn't just get to win. We're going to take down Katherine," I reassure him, spotting my sister leaning against a wall with Jeremy by her side.

Elena perks up her head and meets my eyes, pushing herself off the wall and rushing over towards me. She throws her arms around my neck and buries her head in my shoulder.

I glance over at Jeremy and he gives me a reassuring nod. "She's going to be okay, she didn't hit any vital organs," Jeremy announces and I let out a sigh of relief. I squeeze Elena in my embrace and she slightly pulls away from me.

"Why is she doing this?" Jeremy asks, his voice full of anger and confusion.

"She's playing games and manipulating us," Damon speaks up, shaking his head and my sister sniffles loudly.

"She's winning. Katherine is winning and there is nothing we can do about. She can come and go, compelling the people we care about," my sister announces, her eyes dull and lost of all hope.

She breaks away from my grip and storms off, disappearing around the corner.

"What are we going to do?" Jeremy asks, nudging my shoulder as I endlessly stare at the ground, trying to come up with a thought in my empty mind.

I open my mouth to say something, but I can't seem to find the words to comfort my brother.