062 : the present - bonus chap

❝ I WAS TOO CAUGHT UP IN YOU ❞

⋆。˚  ✩

Tom was idly sitting in the driver's seat of the third rented car he and Scarlett bought that week in order to travel to Brazil. They decided they were taking the scenic route, and any decision to go via an airport other than a rural and unpopulated city would mean the paparazzi would catch them out, which they both agreed to stay away from until they were ready to come home.

Scarlett was stirring lightly in her sleep in the back seats of the car, and Tom knew that, soon enough, she would wake up covered in tears and sweat. Nightmares became a nightly thing now, all because of one man and his actions. It made Tom's blood boil and consider at a more serious rate if he should genuinely hurt Theo for what he had caused.

A blue glint that reflected from the moonlight outside caught Tom's eye with curiousity. It layed below Scarlett's sleeping legs, hidden in the nighttime shadows. Tom leaned forward carefully, aware not to awake Scarlett earlier than she was going to, grabbing the rectangle item into his hands.

He almost dropped it after his eyes glazed over the Spiderman wrapping paper that had ripped one or two holes and was battered on the corners. It was his birthday present from Scarlett that both of them had totally forgotten about.

Without hesitation, Tom desperately tore the wrapping apart, the desire to know what was supposed to wait for Scarlett's honeymoon for too much.

He was confused when he saw it was a plain cardboard box that itself had to be opened. When he lifted the lid of the beige rectangle, tears automatically layered his sight, and he wiped them away before they could damage any of the precious photos.

Inside contained a very expensive watch that Tom could only imagine the price of, the kind of watch he'd been eyeing online for some time now, but decided not to buy due to the price tag. Surrounding the watch was a sea of printed photos of Tom and Scarlett over the past year, and beneath it, a piece of white lined paper stuck out from one of them.

With a sharp intake of breath, and looking behind him to see that Scarlett was still in the land of dreams, he revealed the two A4 pieces of paper that was graffitied all in Scarlett's half cursive handwriting.

Tom,

Happy 30th birthday! I know I know, I wish instead of me stealing your spotlight we could've gone to a pub and messed around and gotten too drunk to stand like we usually do, but I think we also recall our 17 year old selves pressing the promise we gave eachother all those years ago.

Here it is. The end of the pact.

To me, it's almost impossible to think that yes, I managed to find a husband to live with forever (I hope!) within the year I turned 29. Like maybe there's a little lesson or moral behind it all, but I'm yet to find out what it is.

But I thought of a little poem that I looked at going back at some old albums of mine reminded me of you. It was the poem from More Life, Drake's album.

More life.
More time with family and friends. More life.
I've still got vibrations to send. More life.
They say we can live forever
At night I pray it's true
I've done so much in my short time and there's still more to do
But if someone should come collecting
Sooner than we're all expecting
At least the life you lived was one for you.

You've completed so much, Munchkin. You've achieved only the best of your dreams in what people took decades to do. You only needed a Billy Elliot and an Impossible to get it. And I'm so endlessly proud of you, forever and always.

I think the reason why I held back from finding someone right for me, from finding Theo, was because I was too caught up in you.

Tom, this may sound awful and ridiculous and it might ruin the relationship we have, but I haven't been honest with you. For God knows how many years, I've loved you. With all my heart. The first person I have ever devoted my heart to. Despite trying to get over you with Luca and Malcolm, I always ran back to you.

I'm sorry that I never told you. I never knew how you felt, and I doubt you'd ever want to start a life with me, so I left it. It hurt, but being your best friend is more important than ever being your lover.

Oliver keeps telling me how you always mention how I'm better off without Theo, and I know you're only looking out for me, but I love him. So much. And yes, a part of me will always always love you forever, but I've accepted that we shouldn't be together. The day I'm better off without my almost husband is going to be the worst day of my life.

Sorry again for jumping that massive bomb on you, but please text me whenever you've read it. I'll make sure we catch up and talk about it properly when I'm back from Greece.

I love you, and stay happy and safe.
Make a new Spiderman film! You haven't worked in a while. It's good for you.

See you in a couple of weeks or so.

Scarlett xx

⋆。˚  ✩

THIS IS THE PREVIEW TO THE SEQUEL
OF THE PACT, BETTER OFF !

see u tommorow ;)