From One Room To The Next

Start from the beginning

I nodded.

He was so kind and very good at his job. He made sure to let me know everything he was doing beforehand and also while he was doing it. I wanted to pay more attention but I couldn't focus. I was in pain. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

After about 10 minutes he finally got all the bandages moved away. He stepped away for a moment to give me time to examine myself as I lay there.

I was completely exposed.

There was a lot of bruising as he said. Honestly, I'm not sure there was any normal coloring to my skin. But to be honest that didn't bother me. I had dealt with bruising before. It was nothing new. It didn't shock me to see my body mangled. There was a stitched up slice leading from right above my belly button all the way to the center of my chest. But even that didn't shock me. I figured it would be big considering everything Thomas said they had to do. What did shock me was the tube coming out of my side. It was gross and looked completely unnatural.

"We have to wait till we know you can breathe on your own without it collapsing." He says noticing my expression.

"And how will you know that?" I ask back without removing my eyes from it.

"Well, we monitor the output. Once you are in a good range we will attempt to remove it. If everything goes as it's supposed to we will stitch it up and call it a day."

"And if it doesn't?" I ask. Wanting to prepare for the worst.

"Well, that will depend on how bad it is. We might have to go back into surgery and replace the tube. Or it's possible that we can get it back in right here in the room. It will all depend on your healing."

There's a moment of silence as I think about the different possibilities.

"I'm going to have to bandage you back up now. I put the cream on and it's not supposed to dry so are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be," I say with a forced smile.

"I can see why he likes you. You've got spunk. Definitely more entertaining than he is." Thomas says with a laugh.

The thought makes me smile.

"Tell me something about you, Thomas," I ask him wanting to get my mind off of what he's about to do.

     "Oh, you don't wanna hear that. I'm pretty basic and boring."

     "Please? It'll help me . . . keep my mind off of . . . the pain." I say through gritted teeth.

     "Okay, where do I start.  Um, I'm 20. I'm going to uni while I work here. And I live in an apartment across the street with a very cuddly cat named Bagheera,"

     "Like The Jungle Book?"

     "That's the one," He says with a small chuckle.

     "So is it just you and Bagheera?"

     "Nope. I actually have 3 roommates. We all work here and go to uni together.  We all wanna be in the medical field. So we went and got the schooling to become a nurse so that we can work in the field we want while furthering our education."

     "And what about the nurse out there?  The one at the desk." I ask with a forced smirk as he places my bandages before wrapping me up.

     "Oh no, it's my turn." He says raising the bed and helping me sit up a bit so he can begin wrapping the ace wrap around my torso.

     "What do you wanna know? I'm an open book." I say trying not to over exert myself.

     "Hmmm. How about you tell me how you got Mr."