Chapter 8

I woke the next morning and turned quickly, hoping to see Rey but finding only an empty space.  I sat up and rubbed my eyes and then ran my hands back over my hair.  I sat for a moment thinking about the feelings she had given me last night.  I felt myself getting excited again so I quickly stood and headed into the shower.  I ate breakfast in my quarters and then headed to the main control room where I knew I would find Hux. 

He was stood with his back to me, gazing out of the window and yet he spoke as though he knew I was there, "I was about to send out a search party, good nights sleep Supreme Leader?".  I ignored him, "Which three planets shall we send the Scout Troopers to next? I was thinking, Batuu, Bespin and Cantonica. They are all vastly different but anyone of them could hide the resistance".  Hux nodded and turned to me, his eyes narrowed, watching me, "Will there be anything else General?" I asked turning to look at him squarely. Hux shook his head and then turned back to the control panel and spoke into the intercom, "Attention Scout Troopers, all able bodied troops to report to me immediately for briefing".  "I will be in the gymnasium" I said walking out.

I worked out for well over an hour before eating lunch and then retiring to my room.  I wanted to see Rey again, I couldn't stop thinking about her.  I showered again and then dressed.  I went over to the window just in time to see two dozen Tie fighters fly past.  Why so many? 

I went over to the intercom in the corner of my room and spoke urgently into it, "General, come in General" no answer.  I tried twice more before I felt the light and Rey appeared in my room.  Her face was full of panic, her eyes wide, "Ben I've just seen a Tie fighter go over, what's going on?" I balled my hands into fists at my side.  That snake Hux had sent fighters out to all of the remaining habitable planets, how dare he, who did he think he was? "Ben! Are they coming for us?" Rey said, tears in her eyes.  I could only nod slowly, feeling her panic.  And then suddenly before I had time to think about what I was saying I blurted out, "Hang on Rey, hide somewhere, I'm coming for you!".  Before Rey could answer I had strode out of the room and broken the connection.  I headed down the corridor and took the lift to the hanger, "Prepare my shuttle, I wish to follow those Tie fighters" I barked as I strode in.  Two Storm Troopers saluted to me and hurried away.

Once on board the pilot lifted the shuttle into the sky.  I sat down, my heart thumping.  A moment later a furious Hux rang out over the intercom, "Ren, what the hell are you doing? Where are you headed?" I swallowed hard and pressed the intercom button "Mind how you speak to me General" I snapped, buying myself time and trying to think how to answer "I have felt a disturbance in the force coming from Akiva and I wished to check it out for myself". Hux snorted, "Do not let your own needs cloud your mind Ren", I shot out of my seat and grabbed the intercom roughly "I am your leader now General! Do not forget that! If I wish to do something, anything, anytime then I will do it!" And then I switched the intercom off as we approached Akiva, "Set us down there" I said walking over to the pilot and tapping the glass as a clearing came into view. Two Tie fighters swooped past as we touched down and then landed as I headed out and down the ramp.

The Tie pilots came over to me, saluting as they did so, "Supreme Leader, life forms have been spotted on the other side of the mountain range. Shall we head over there again and try to find them?", I shook my head quickly, "Let me call for more back up, we don't know how many of them there are. Wait in the shuttle and I will contact the base" they nodded and began to walk past me up the ramp. In a flash I used the force to lift both of the Troopers off the ground, smacking their heads together and knocking them out and then I walked quickly over to them and drove my light sabre through their limp bodies. I looked around. The pilot was still inside the shuttle none the wiser as to what was going on. I wanted him to remain that way so I dragged the Troopers off the ramp and threw them into the undergrowth and then, feeling confident that I was now alone I headed off towards the mountains.