Chapter 8: Invisible Line

Junhoe kept on pressing the arrow keys up and down from his laptop making the powerpoint presented on his screen to move from one slide to another. While he was busy distracting himself, Chanwoo was all focused on the lecturer, taking notes from time to time. The notes was not really intended for him but for the person seating beside him.

"The behavior and expectations of today's guest have completely changed and each guest has his own preferences, demands, and characteristics. The challenge for hotels is to understand these requirements and to act upon them. What hotel owners have to achieve is to get everybody in the organization to understand how they can meet the needs of the future guests. Hotels should develop a model of "service variety" and revitalize their operations." The training master lectured the group of young trainees in the room.

There were a total of 17 people in the session. As Junhoe guessed, they were around his age too and some were maybe early 30s. The lack of concentration in his eyes showed his lack of interest on the seminar as well. He kept on glancing on his phone settled beside his laptop. He either tapped the screen of his phone or his keyboards. It only had been an hour and a half since the lecture started but it felt like forever to Junhoe. He still had less than 6 hours to finish the session and tomorrow will be as bored as it is today.

He checked the time on the lower right corner of his laptop's screen and it showed 9:44am. 'Is Jinhwan hyung awake? Yeah. Maybe. He has class today.' Junhoe talked to himself in his mind. He flashed a smirk on the thought of him actually calling Jinhwan 'Hyung'. He was still awkward on the word since that word was only used mostly with Bobby. The latter was so fond of Junhoe calling him 'hyung'. It was a term of endearment for Bobby. Calling Jinhwan 'hyung' was not really being unthoughtful of him. It was actually a decision he had even before meeting Jinhwan yesterday. He wanted to replace the tragic memory behind that word. It was not like he could restrict himself from using that word anyway. He had to say that to someone one way or another.

Another uninteresting hour passed and the lecturer handed out some questionnaire to the participants. They were required to answer 10 questions related to the topic discussed. Junhoe passed the paper to Chanwoo hinting his assistant to answer it for him.

"No. You need to answer it yourself. Just based it on what you understand of the topic." Chanwoo firmly declined him.

"I know and that's the problem. I didn't get anything he said." Junhoe admitted as he slouched on his seat.

"You will be evaluated at the end of your training and it will be helpful for you if you give at least a little interest on this. Sajangnim will surely check your results. If you don't want to—"

"Ugh! Fine. Shut up. I'm going to do it." Junhoe retreated. He grabbed the pen Chanwoo offered him and took his time to read the first page.

A few minutes passed, his phone vibrated. Jinhwan-ssi. That was the name exposed on his screen. He suddenly forgot everything for a second and excitedly took his phone to read the message.

From Jinhwan-ssi:

Junhoe-ya! How's ur training?

Junhoe's face lit up and hurried to send a reply.

Hi hyung. I am answering the questionnaire right now. It's boring but yeah, manageable.

He didn't drop his phone on the table after that. He only held it and anticipated another reply. His thumbs were busy bumping on the side of his phone when another message was sent.

Jinhwan-ssi:

Oh. Are u allowed to use ur phone? I'm sorry. Focus on ur training now. I hope u do well. J