Chapter 9: The Uchiha Sorrow

(This chapter will be in first person, but with Itachi telling Sakura the story)

"It was a cold night, mid July. I'd been a spy, a traitor to my kin. I knew that this was the best choice of action, the only way, because no one would listen."

I walked up to the closed gates of the Uchiha compound. I didn't want to do it. I'd walked up to those gates with sorrow in my heart, holding back emotions that tried to break through to the surface.

I slipped on my ANBU mask and shushined over the gates. By this time only the Uchiha elders and the Police Force would be awake.

Many thought that I'd done it by myself, that I could've created such a massacre all alone. I hadn't, I had help that night.

You wouldn't have been more than five or six.

That man had promised to take care of my subordinates, my duty had been to eliminate the civilians.

I remember distinctly the first person that I killed. You may think that it was a terrible thing to hold onto, but my soul wouldn't let go of it.

It was young girl, she had been sleeping, I realized that it was my distant cousin, Shisui's little sister. When I had seen her like that I wanted to slit my throat instead. Nothing had to be worse than killing my best friend's family. I decided that she shouldn't have to die in only occured to me later that death would be a release for this poor girl.

I awoke her and put her under a Genjutsu, one where her parents and Shisui were all alive. I did it quickly. I didn't want to look at her. I couldn't look at her.

I felt her blood on my hands, but I didn't bother wiping it away. This was my punishment.

I smelt the scent of blood seeping through the floorboards. I watched as it did so. I didn't bother to cover or close my eyes, what would the difference be at the end anyway? This was my reality.

It dawned on me then that I heard nothing. No one. And then I remembered, and the saddest part of the whole situation was that no one was going to come through that door wondering what was happening, because all of her close family had been killed, or killed themselves.

I knew that she believed that Shisui killed himself, she knew that I would never kill him, much less hurt him.

Nobody was going to try and stop me, because they couldn't stop me. I panted at the intense wanting to throw up. I had to do this. Something in the back of my head urged my feet towards the door, I will never tell anyone but that thing enjoyed the blood that I spilt, it reveled at all the peoples' eyes rolling to the back of their heads'. I realized then that this thing was me.

The rest of the night had turned into a blur, blood painted the streets, the homes of people once smiling and laughing. Baby's, children, mothers', fathers', brothers and sisters. Entire family's wiped away by my hand.

This world was so disgusting, I was disgusting. The spawn of something that should've been dead years ago!

I hated what I was, what I had become. A pawn in game of life and death that I didn't want to play. Every body hit the floor with the same thump, the same splatter when the blood was splayed everywhere.

After a while it was easy it seemed. I tried not to let it get to me, but I remember everything. I would forever be painted in the blood of my family, a red flag among a sea of white. I was forced to accept something that I didn't want.