Chapter 18: Broken Chains

Start from the beginning

"Arlo Marcelo," I stood up, she must have seen Keane and Tayte look at me, "Just a few questions, you'll be back in less than 5 minutes," Once we were sat in an office she looked at me; "So, Arlo isn't it, what happened?"

"I just slipped and fell, and my face took the brunt of it," she looked at me,

"Lying to me isn't going to help you, are you in pain?"

"Yes, I haven't slept,"

"What pain relief have you taken?"

"None,"

"Would you like some?"

"No, I'm fine,"

"How long ago did this injury occur?"

"About 8 or 9 hours ago,"

"Are you allergic to anything?"

"Not that I know of,"

"And again I'll ask. How did this happen?" she looked at me sternly, like a look a mother would give her child.

"I got into a fight protecting this young girl and they blindsided me,"

"Thank you Arlo. Are you sure you do not want any pain medication?" I nodded, "Okay, you will be seen by a doctor shortly,"

"Thanks," I left the office and took my seat by my brothers again.

"So?"

"She just wanted to know how it happened, when it happened, about the pain and whether I wanted anything for it and anything I was allergic too,"

"You didn't take any pain relief did you," Keane said,

"No, I didn't Keane,"

"Are you going to tell us what happened now we're away from parents?" Tayte said.

"I was defending this young girl and took on 3 men. I got blindsided. It was unprofessional of me,"

"You're talking like you've been trained to fight," I didn't reply and no one else could as my name was recalled,

"Arlo Marcelo, would you like to come through. Your brothers can come too," we all stood up.

...

Keane's POV

Turned out Arlo had a zygomatic fracture of his right cheekbone. He had to have a special X-ray and CT scan to find this out as the swelling was too bad to determine anything. It wasn't bad enough to warrant any surgery, he was prescribed painkillers and told to ice it on and off to help with the swelling.

We were back at the hotel, having some late lunch. The parents would be back any time soon.

"Are you angry at me?" I asked,

"I could never be angry at you Keane and you should know that. I'm just sorry I ruined the weekend,"

  "You didn't ruin anything. I just wish you'd talk to me,"

"Sound familiar," he said looking at Tayte,

  "Okay I may be being a hypocrite but I'm working on opening up,"

"I'll be back in a minute," he said and left the table,

"Give him time babe. Even though he's told us a little about his childhood, we don't know what it was really like, or what happened,"

"But I want to know otherwise I can help him. He's so headstrong and independent,"

"Because he's obviously had to be," I sighed. "All we can do is just be there for him, for whenever and wherever he needs us," Tayte squeezed my hand and I leant and kissed him over the table. Arlo came back but didn't sit down,