30

Marinette had never found the time to imagine what a heartbreak feels like. But now it was ripping her to a thousand pieces. Her heart hurt. It hurt so bad she forgot how to breathe. She staggered forwards and placed her hand against the bark of a tree to regain her balance. Tears streamed uncontrollably down the sides of her burning face. Her other hand clutched her chest. It hurt so bad, to say that to his face... and meaning it?

I thought that he was the one I can always count on. Someone who finally saw me for more than just my mistakes. But he has shown his true colors.

Marinette sobbed. She sobbed harder than she had in her life. There was a sudden longing to be home, with her parents and the sweet aroma of pastries. A longing to be normal and carefree. A longing to just be a teenage girl, worrying about her next chemistry test, not the fate of the World.

Suddenly, she heard the crunching of leaves under a pair of rapid feet. A voice shouting for her. Marinette turned around and blinked away her tears to clear her foggy vision. It was Alya.

"Oh, Marinette." Alya sighed, lifting her arms up and wrapping her best friend in a hug.

A fresh pair of tears streaked down Marinette's face. She went limp in the tight embrace, suddenly unsure of what to feel.

"I'm so sorry, girl." Alya let go of Marinette, but held on to her shoulders. "I... I was so terrified when Hawkmoth threatened to take you away. I should've done something. But instead I froze up like a complete idiot."

Marinette didn't respond.

"Marinette, are you okay?"

Marinette wanted to say something to let Alya know that she felt completely helpless, but couldn't find the energy.

"And what Adrien said..."

Marinette cringed at his name.

"It was stupid." Alya declared, but then her voice softened, "But... I'm sure he didn't mean it."

"How would you know?" Marinette said in a quiet, hoarse voice.

"Adrien loves you, Marinette." Alya said, looking worried, "I know it's not my place to say it. But I can most definitely tell. He has loved you since the day you both became Paris' greatest superheroes."

"He loved Ladybug." Marinette said almost in a whisper, "I'm the person beneath the mask that he has to deal with. And what kind of superheroes are we to fail like this?"

"First of all. Don't be mean to my best friend! She's the most kind-hearted and selfless person I've met. You need an example? Remember the time I lost Nino's favourite CD after borrowing it for a couple days? I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to find it. But you stayed behind after class and helped me look for it even though you had to be working at the bakery and you had a lot of homework that day. And remember that time you saved me as Ladybug? This Egyptian God guy wanted to sacrifice me and you offered to take my place. Talk about drama." She rolled her eyes and continued. "Second of all. Who said you failed? I'm gonna drag Nino and Chloe with me to search every inch of Paris. We will find Hawkmoth and retrieve your Miraculous. That's a promise."

"Thanks, Alya." Marinette shivered, then broke eye contact, "But I think I'll stay here."

"Scared to face Adrien?"

Marinette didn't feel the need to deny it.

Alya exhaled. "I don't want you here alone."

"I'll be back as soon as I've sort out my thoughts." Marinette sniffed, straightening up a little to convince her best friend that she was okay.

"You know I don't want to leave you." Alya said, "But I have a butterfly to catch." She gave Marinette one last hug and whispered, "I love you, girl." before leaving Marinette in peace.

Marinette sighed, and was surprised when she realized she wasn't crying anymore. She was too exhausted to cry. It still hurt. But now the feeling was mixed with a tad of weariness, remorse, worry, and fear. Slowly, she dragged herself back to the house. She didn't want to face Adrien, but her brain was too weary to even think.

When she came through the already opened door, she saw the blonde hunched over on the couch, face in his palms. The night was silent. The others have gone after Hawkmoth already, Marinette figured. She stared at Adrien. He was not moving. The only sign Marinette had to indicate he was still alive was the sound of his steady but ragged sound of his breathing. She wanted to haul herself up the stairs and collapse into the warmth of her bed. For a split second, she didn't want to care if Hawkmoth won, she didn't want to care if she was in danger.

But the sight of Adrien glued her feet to the ground. She couldn't move.

Minutes went by. Marinette felt like she was staring at a lifeless body. Adrien now had his back against the couch and was staring off to space. Marinette did not dare to move, scared that if she did, the sound would wake Adrien up from whatever trance he was in and force her to confront him.

Then, as if she was in an alternate reality of slow motion, Adrien turned to look at her. And she saw the brokenness in his facial features, laced by a hundred more emotions she couldn't read.

"Did you mean it?" He croaked.

Marinette was definitely not ready for the question, or the sound and tone of his voice. Her breath hitched as she pondered on what to say.

____________________

Finals are coming, but I'll try updating again soon ;) Also, I watched Miraculer and I just wanna say I'm so glad that the episodes in this season have been changing. The patterns are different, and the plots are more interesting. I love it.

Bug out!