Blowing up the Tower

Start from the beginning

''Then say it.''

''I'm loyal to you.''

Her voice shook slightly and Jeremiah laughed, throwing his head back and cackling. Clarissa chuckled, and then she gasped as Jeremiah pushed her against the wall. His breath was warm in her face. 

''Not quite there, darling.''

Clarissa wriggled out from under his arms, pressed against the wall over her shoulders. She took a few steps back, and then said ''Let's go blow up something, Jeremiah.''

''A very good idea.''

They walked out of the room, Clarissa behind him, trying to hide how much her body was shaking, with both fear, and desire. 

---

The ground still shook as Jeremiah drove away from his old bunker. He was chuckling, and Clarissa was smiling. Jim Gordon had been caught up in the explosion, and she was sure that he was dead. 

About time. 

 Despite Jeremiah's words earlier, his hand rested on the side of his seat, almost touching Clarissa's. The remote rested against her heart, waiting for the moment that she could make a show for the Police. Or for Jeremiah. All around her, her cultists ran laughing and yelling her name and Jeremiah's, and it took her back. Back to when she felt like the Queen of Gotham when she stood by Jerome. Those days were over. Today was a new beginning because the show would be for Jeremiah. He'd always wanted to see another and now was her chance to make that desire come true. 

''Here we are, time for our little performance,'' said Jeremiah, parking the car, and pulling on a hat and sunglasses. Clarissa got out of the car and waited patiently as the cultists grew louder, swarming the steps of the G.C.P.D. Jeremiah walked confidently between them, Clarissa following him until they were right in front of the doors. The reception was wonderful, and almost immediately Harvey Bullock himself stood at the door. 

''You may not recognize Jerome's followers, but I assure you they're still loyal to me, and Jeremiah,'' said Clarissa, smiling up at Bullock as he glared down at them. Around them, the cultists were still yelling their names. 

''I accomplished something my brother never could,'' said Jeremiah. ''Killing James Gordon.''

''JEREMIAH! JEREMIAH! CLARISSA!''

Clarissa laughed as Bullock made to step forwards. She held up the remote, revelling as those closest to her screamed out her name.

''I have bombs planted around the city, just like the one that killed Jim Gordon,'' Jeremiah went on and then gestured to Clarissa. She spun the remote in her hand, letting it vanish for a moment before pulling it seemingly out of thin air from behind Jeremiah's ear.

''If I hit this detonator, then Gotham gets blown back to the Stone Age!'' she said nonchalantly. She quietly pulled a gun from Jeremiah's pocket and aimed it at Bullock. She was taking over, and he didn't seem to mind as she poked out her tongue at Bullock and winked. 

''If Clarissa pulls this trigger, your brains are blown through the back of your skull. Dead man's switch,'' said Jeremiah. ''You're familiar. It's another little something that I took from my brother, except mine's a bit more advanced. You shoot her, her thumb loosens and then boom boom boom boom.''

Clarissa giggled, and Bullock's eyes narrowed. 

''So you'll do what he says,'' she said, and then stepped back and Bullock snapped at them.

''You're more sick than your brother.''

Jeremiah chuckled darkly. ''Don't compare me to that short-sighted psychopath. He just wanted to destroy things. Me, I'm a builder. I'm gonna create a new Gotham in my image-''

He paused and reached out to pull Clarissa closer to him, an arm wrapping around her waist. 

''In our image,'' he corrected himself, then went on as Clarissa spun the remote in her hand. 

''But every artist needs a blank canvas, so all of this has to go,'' she said, a truly wicked smile on her face. She was enjoying herself more and more each second. She was surrounded by her followers, and at Jeremiah's side. 

''I detonate the explosives in six hours,'' said Jeremiah sharply. ''I want the city empty when I do.''

Empty? Clarissa glanced at him, then covered her shock with a smile. Why wouldn't he want all of Gotham to die? Wasn't that satisfying?

''You want us to evacuate the city is six hours? That's impossible!'' snarled Bullock. 

''Then everyone who dies screaming, who watched their loved ones crushed before them, will have you to thank Detective Bullock.''

''Look nobody has to die. Well, except for these people.''

''I know seeing is believing, and I do want you to believe me so-''

Clarissa pressed the button as Jeremiah looked at her, and behind them, the clock tower cracked and crumbled. Fire blasted from the stone, as smoke curled into the sky in a violent dance. The cultists yelled louder, and Clarissa felt Jeremiah's arm tighten around her in the panic. She was so proud of the destruction. It was just like what Jerome would have wanted. 

No.

She stopped herself. It was just like what Jeremiah wanted. Loyalty. 

Bystanders screamed and ran for cover, and Bullock yelled for someone to get officers up to the clock tower. Jeremiah made to leave, but he was still talking, still carrying on his performance.

''Six hours, Detective.''

''The clock is ticking!'' added Clarissa.

''Shame,'' said Jeremiah. ''I liked the clock tower. Jim took me there on a date once, and now they're both up in smoke. Good riddance.''

He lead her back to the car and opened the door to let her inside.

''Well done, Clarissa. I always did like your sleight of hand.''

''Really?''

''Yes.''

''We have one more task to do today, and lucky you will be able to see old Bruce again.''

''Wayne Manor?''

''Very clever. I think you deserve a little extra, don't you? A gift. For the both of us.''

He started the engine and began driving, his hand resting on Clarissa's a moment before he swung out onto the road.

''Make sure you have a gun. I believe Miss Selina Kyle will be there too.''

Author's Note

Hey Guys! It's been a while I know but school has been so busy. I'll try to keep working on chapters as regularly as I can. Thanks for your votes, you beautiful people!

StoryBat129