28. Fight and Make-Up

I don't sleep much. After we got home we were roped into dinner with Ali and Beth but we immediately went upstairs to our room afterwards because we were exhausted from our evening. Unfortunately, my conversation with Shawn plays over and over in my head on a loop making it impossible for me to get any rest. 

I glance over at the clock on the nightstand and sigh. It was only just past seven in the morning and knowing Maya, she wouldn't be up for hours yet since we didn't have work this morning. 

So, I decide to climb out of bed and head downstairs to get some coffee. I walk over to the coffee maker, pour water inside and sit at the island, waiting for it to finish brewing while I go through some emails on my phone. I get through three or four of them when I hear footsteps behind me followed by a pair of arms wrapping around my torso. "Why did you leave?" Maya asks, kissing my neck. 

"Sorry" I reply softly, craning my neck back to kiss her. "I thought you'd sleep through my absence."

She chuckles, moving to sit on the stool beside mine. "Impossible. But really, why are you up so early?" she asks confusedly as a yawn escapes her lips. 

"Just didn't sleep well last night" I reply vaguely. The last thing I wanted her to know was that her father dashed any dreams I had of making her my wife in the near future. Not that I couldn't go ahead and propose anyway but somehow I felt that Maya was the type of woman who needed her father's blessing. 

"Why? Something bothering you?" she asks worriedly. I couldn't exactly say yes because then she'd want to know what was bothering me but saying no would be a lie, one that she'd see through easily. 

"It's nothing you need to worry about" I insist but she shakes her head, scooting closer to me. 

"Anything that bothers you is something I need to worry about" she argues. "Did something else happen yesterday that you didn't tell me about?" she presses, staring into my eyes as if they held all the answers she was looking for but after all that I've been through I've become a pro at hiding my true feelings. "Josh-."

"Baby seriously, it's no big deal" I insist, hoping that she'll drop the subject. "Why don't we go spend the day together. We hardly ever leave this house; let me show you off a little bit" I beg and though I know it kills her, a smile tugs at her lips. 

"If I agree to this can we talk later?" she asks hopefully. I want to disagree, to insist that there is nothing to talk about but I know that she knows that something is bothering me and at least this way I had all day to come up with a plausible lie that would get her off my back. 

"Okay" I agree. A giddy grin spreads across her lips. 

"Good. I'll go get ready" she says, practically floating up the stairs. I sigh, dropping my head into my hands. I hated lying to her but I couldn't tell her the truth. I knew she'd be upset with Shawn and I couldn't be the person to come between them; I wouldn't be the person to come between them. I would just have to come up with something else to say and somehow make her believe it. 

***********************************************************************************************

"Have you ever been to your sister-in-law's cafe?" Maya asks while we're driving around the city. We didn't really have a destination in mind but we were both starving and I was still craving coffee since I didn't actually get to enjoy mine this morning. 

"Um a few times" I reply, shrugging my shoulders. It wasn't that I was unsupportive of my sister-in-law's cafe, I just didn't usually have the time to go all the way into Greenwich for a cup of coffee. "Why?" I ask curiously, glancing over at the blonde in my passenger seat.