6. Baggage

Monday morning comes too quick yet too slow all at the same time. I had no idea how I was supposed to be facing Maya today. My thoughts were all over the place and none of them were innocent or healthy. All I could think about was being with her again but those thoughts were only met with the harsh memory of Caleb answering her phone last night.

I needed coffee or something harder if I could find it.

I trudge down the steps and find Ali sitting on top of the counter with her legs dangling off the edge while one hand held a spoon to her lips and the other offered a pint of mint chip Halo Top out towards me. "Want some?" she asks with her mouth full of her favorite dessert. I chuckle, shaking my head.

"No thanks" I reply. "Nice outfit" I add, motioning to her sports bra and athletic short combo. "Out for a run this morning were we?" I ask teasingly. There was only one reason my best friend went for runs and it was to relieve frustration that I was almost positive was the result of an unlucky night with Beth.

She sticks her tongue out at me as I pour my coffee before sticking another spoonful into her mouth. "Beth was tired last night. I mean, I get it but a girl has needs" she adds with her mouth full.

"Alison you have an orgasm on the daily. I think you can go one night without it" I chuckle but she shakes her head.

"Nope" she replies, popping the p. "Don't worry about me babe. I'm too far gone to save. I'm addicted to sex and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon and if you had a girlfriend that could do the things mine can do with her tongue-."

"Okay Alison" I cut her off while she breaks into a fit of giggles. "My god at least pretend you have a filter."

"No can do babe" she smirks as she hops off the counter. "I'm gonna go take a shower. Have a good day at the office and try not to pin any assistants against your desk" she adds teasingly before walking out of the room. I roll my eyes, grabbing my mug and bringing it to my lips. My best friend was certainly something else.

I finish off my coffee while scrolling through my social media accounts before finally placing it in the sink and heading out to my car. I put my key in the ignition and the engine purrs to life making a small smile pull at my lips. I buckle in and pull out of my driveway, ready as I'll ever be to face whatever today brought my way.

I listen to the local pop station on my drive and hum along to the couple of songs that I actually know before finally arriving at the office and putting my car into park. I climb out and head inside, calling the elevator and climbing on. The doors are just about to shut when suddenly a slim hand flies between the shutting doors and she wiggles her way inside. My breath hitches in my throat when I lay my eyes on her.

"Maya" I exclaim, shocked to see her. Her eyes widen as the doors come to a close and she realizes she just forced her way onto an elevator with me.

"Mr. Matthews" she says professionally. "Good morning. I'm sorry I'm running a tad late this morning. I uh had some trouble getting out of the house this morning" she explains. My heart drops into my stomach. With the way she looked in the black dress pants and white button up she was wearing I was sure she would have some trouble getting out of the house. I certainly wouldn't let her leave without a round between the sheets.

"It's fine Miss Hunter" I reply. "Is that for me?" I ask, motioning to the coffee in her hand.

"Oh um yes" she nods, holding it out to me. "Will you be requiring me for anything else this morning sir?" she asks. I think it over as I bring the coffee to my lips but as soon as I'm about to respond the elevator comes to a sudden stop. "What the hell?" she asks and I fight to hide my smile. I liked it when she let her professional façade slip.