21. The Problem with Insecurities

After not sleeping the night before I make the simple decision to call into work the next morning. I leave a message with Penny to let her know I'd be gone and since Maya only had me to call into, she didn't have to do anything. I knew where she was and exactly why she wasn't working. 

We both fall asleep easily but it's me that ends up sleeping in the next morning, waking up past noon. Maya looks over at me from her phone and smiles. "Morning babe."

I furrow my eyebrows at her. "How long have you been up?" 

She shrugs, tossing her nightstand onto the nightstand. "Not too long. You sleep alright?" she asks, bending down and pushing my hair off my forehead. 

"I slept like a baby" I reply, grabbing her wrist gently and pulling her down on top of me. She giggles as her lips brush softly against mine. She pulls away after a soft peck and puts her hand over her mouth. "I have morning breath. I should go freshen up."

I roll my eyes, bringing her back down to kiss me and she exhales deeply through her nose as our lips reconnect. I caress her cheek and urge her lips to open but her mouth remains shut and I groan as I pull away. "Alright fine" I concede. "I'll go get a start on breakfast."

"You don't have to leave" she insists but I shake my head, climbing out of bed. 

"You've ruined my fun" I pout. "See you downstairs." I head down the steps and hear the sounds of mugs being placed on the counter. "Morning Al" I greet my best friend whose sitting at the island with her girlfriend, drinking coffee and talking quietly. 

"Morning. Where's your better half?" she asks, looking behind me. 

"Brushing her teeth" I reply with a roll of my eyes. I understood the need for dental hygiene but she was insane if she thought that there would ever be a time of day that I wouldn't want to kiss her. "She'll be down in a second."

Beth smiles fondly at Alison. "Remember when we still freshened up in the morning? Oh my goodness I'd wake up and brush my teeth, apply some makeup, comb my hair" she lists and I furrow my eyebrows. Was that really something that girls did? I had never had a girlfriend and I never let girls spend the night so I had never had to think about it before. 

"It was cute" Alison argues, reaching forward and pecking her on the lips. I smile, opening the fridge to grab my coffee creamer as footsteps pad across the floor. "Morning" Maya smiles and I turn around to find her fully put together; her teeth spotless, her hair untangled and I could tell she had put on mascara and lipstick. 

"Morning Maya" Alison smiles. "It's nice to see you again."

Maya smiles, nodding her head in agreement. "Likewise" she says, walking over to me. "Coffee?" she asks and I nod, handing her a cup. 

"Well uh we should go" Beth says, standing up and motioning for Alison to follow. Alison gives a pout but gets up nonetheless, following after her girlfriend. Maya looks up at me, leaning against the counter. 

"Was it something I said?" she asks, lifting her mug to her lips. 

I brace myself against the counter across from her, gripping the granite tightly. "You do realize that I adore you without all this shit, right?" I ask, motioning to her appearance. 

She looks down at herself and shrugs. "I just want to look nice."

"Baby you look gorgeous every minute of every day" I argue, relaxing my stance. "You don't need to put on this act of perfection."

"It's just-you could be with a perfect girl-."

I shake my head, stepping towards her and taking her face between my hands. "You are my perfect girl. Every imperfection adds to your perfection in my eyes. You are the only girl I want."