Pushing my childhood thoughts out of my swarming head, I ran around the side of the building to a different exit, racing inside and maneuvering around the crowds of kids headed to their cars or the buses. I suddenly realized Travis's lacrosse tryouts were in just a few minutes. Panicking, I shoved open the nurse's door and ran into someone leaving.

"Woah!" A blond boy that I remembered from lunch held out his hands to stop me from knocking him over. "Careful!"

"It's Will, right? Cecil's new foster brother?" I glanced around for the nurse. I couldn't see her inside the little room.

"Yeah. And if you're looking for Ms. Smith, she just left to get some more throw up bags."

I scrunched up my nose and found a seat. Will leaned against the grey counter, crossing the end of his legs and planting his arms behind him.

"She's already out on the first day?"

Will nodded, his blue eyes a shade lighter than Travis's. I knew mine were at least ten times brighter than his, but blue eyes were common in our friend group. Chris, Cecil, Travis, Will, and I all had blue eyes. Lou Ellen had pale green and Leo had brown. Valdez's little girlfriend's were gold. All we needed were some grey eyes to finish the rainbow of natural hues.

"Yeah, there was an epidemic of the stomach bug. Must have been what they served for lunch."

I nodded. "I don't trust that stuff."

"Me neither. That's why I bought lunch from across the street." Will glanced at the clock hanging from the white wall. "Hey, aren't you supposed to be leaving soon?"

I shook my head. "My brother has lacrosse, so I have to wait."

"Lacrosse, huh? I ran track at my old school, but I don't know if I'll try out this year."

"Why not?" Will's eyes became blurry.

"Just...reminds me of my mom, that's all."

I suddenly remembered with a pang of guilt that Will had lost his mom. Cecil didn't tell us how, and Will certainly wasn't open about it.

"Oh. I'm sorry. I – I uh, ran track in middle school. It was pretty fun. Did you run long distance or sprint?"

"Long distance. I did cross country."

"Sweet. There's a forest behind my house that they use for that here."

He raised an eyebrow. "Don't you live down the street from me? I remember seeing a photo of you in Cecil's room."

"Yeah. Just next door, actually. How long ago did you arrive at Chiron's?"

"Two weeks ago."

"We were out of town that week. Visiting my grandma."

Will nodded and glanced at me longer. "Why are you here?"

"Huh? Oh, I'm here because I, uh, hit my head."

Will frowned but pushed away from the counter and pulled out a drawer. He brought out a silver square and a large Band Aid.

"Sit on the cot," He instructed, opening the silver square, pulling out an alcohol swab. I shrugged and sat on the hospital-green bed. I swung my feet like a little kid and winced as the alcohol in the cloth burned at my cut. "Sorry, but we have to make sure it doesn't get infected."

"Are you Ms. Smith's new apprentice or something?"

He chuckled and shook his head. "No, just being a Good Samaritan, that's all."