Chapter 3: Fight On, Hero!

Hospital, Katsumi's Room

Katsuna loved reading manga as much as any teenagers do.

Of course, it was odd that a girl would want to read manga, in the opinions of many. But she wasn't like most girls who liked makeup and talking about boys. Gross. No, she's a tomboy, and she's proud of that because it just meant that she was tough.

She liked to work out, learn about becoming a Hero, and read manga. Well, that last part was during her free times, of course, but without her knowledge, today would be the beginning point of when manga would probably eat up most of her future time.

Why would she say so?

Because apparently, it has to do with her childhood friend literally giving her a manga, one that he drew and wrote by himself, as her get-well present. A nice present, sure, but the story was ridiculous.

Or so she would assume, given the cover picture.

"So how do you want to read it?" Asked her friend, smiling at the picture on the front. She still hadn't flipped the page yet, still trying to think about how the picture just looked... hilarious, cool and so dumb all at the same time. Who would have thought that Izuku was good at drawing, though?

"That matters?" She raised a brow.

"Of course! You can just flip the pages and read it to yourself, or just read it in your head, or read it out loud with other people, or have someone read it to you like a storybook..." He listed down, tapping his chin with his index finger. "You can read something in a lot of ways, you know?"

Well, he's not wrong on that part. And surprisingly enough, she doesn't know why she wants to take one of his suggestions.

"...Fine. We'll read together out loud," sighed the girl, pointedly ignoring the way her friend seemed to beam at her. "God, this is so dumb... Here, you hold the manga. I'll flip the pages."

"Okay," nodded the boy, adjusting himself so that he could sit somewhere beside her without eating up too much space, holding the manga with one hand. "Ready?"

She didn't say anything, merely sighing. She felt really dumb.

Oh well, they're teenagers. What could go wrong?

...

Apparently, she hadn't known her friend for so long.

To be fair, it was kind of her fault since she's always pushing him away. That, of course, meant that she didn't get the time to fully understand just what kind of person he was. Other than being quite smart, a bit shy, timid, and surprisingly a good manga artist, there's still quite a few things she didn't know about him.

Just like how he's actually pretty good at voice acting.

"W-Wha... M-My house..." His voice sounded hoarse, shocked and so adult-like.

He mimicked a sound effect meant to symbolise bricks breaking. Then, he added a little bit of sounds to make it sound like a body was bouncing around, before a pant could be heard.

"What... are you..?!" He shouted out, before changing persona, surprising the girl once more, just as he had the few moments ago. " 'What' are we?' That's rude. We are the true people of the Earth. You call us subterraneans. We have proliferated, and must now claim the surface. You surface dwellers are great in number as well... but you are an obstruction, so we will eliminate you―"

"Since beginning our invasion, 70% of you surface dwellers have returned to the earth. Please understood that this is a battle for survival," the boy paused, actually somehow able to create tension. "But I am surprised. You are the first surface dweller who didn't die from our punches... But we are taking back the surface, so die!"