Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

Gently laughing, Noah closed the gap between us and said. "I haven't gone anywhere yet."

"I know. I just do. Already and it sucks."

"I miss you too Scarlett. Already." Noah said softly as his lips showed me just how much. Which they continued to do well into the late afternoon, when the wind picked up and rattled through the trees threatening to sweep us away with it.

Pulling away from Noah and his sweet mouth had been hard but I really wanted to give him the gift I had been secretly working on, ever since he had told me he would be leaving.

"What's this?" Noah asked as I handed over the carefully wrapped parcel, that Poppy had helped me with.

"Something for you." I said, as I watched him unwrap the shiny paper, one that I had drawn constellations onto in silver pen.

"Did you do these?"

Nodding, I sat and waited for him to take out the heavy book. Hoping that he would like it.

Eyes wide, Noah held it up and opened the thick cover, to run his fingers along the intricate drawings inside.Then as planned the small folded map fell out from it.

Because I wanted to give him something special, and something to remember me, us and the summer by, I had found during a long rummage through the Grocery stores discount bin, an old map of Pesmo Beach. It was faded round the edges and looked a little worn but it had all the places we had ever ventured to on it, in one glorious illustration. And so I had painstakingly written onto each and every place, a little quote or memory from our time there. Even Poppy had been impressed when she had walked in on me creating it.

"This is amazing Scarlett. Honestly."

"I know it's another thing to pack but I though it might come in handy, even though you probably know them all off by heart."

"One can never know enough about constellations." Noah smiled, as he thumbed through the many pages, reading aloud the various details about stars.

"That's what I thought. I hope you like it."

Kissing the corner of my mouth, his hair falling into my eyes, Noah sighed. "I love it."

The weather had begun to turn quickly, with dark clouds consuming the sunlight that had graced our last afternoon together. Luckily it hadn't stopped Noah from serenading me for the very last time, cradling the guitar in his arms and picking out the songs that he had played before, that reminded him of me.

"You know that I can't sing but I'm going to try, just for this one song because it's pretty special." Noah told me, as he gently strummed away letting the breeze carry the soft melody right into my heart.

His voice was low, husky even as he started to playfully sing. I loved it, especially when he lingered on the lines that meant the most, when he would look up with big, brown eyes to watch mine.

Memorized I sat, listening to him try to whistle out the last verse, all the while the smile on my face and warmth in my heart grew until I was sure it was going to burst from just how much I was going to miss him. All of it.

"I dedicate that one to a rather lovely girl I know, with the beautiful eyes and pretty face." Noah said as he finished, letting the last note ring out.

With my cheeks flushed, I thanked him. "God I'm really going to miss you Noah. I know I keep saying it but its true."

Squeezing my hand, Noah smiled and stole my line. "Ditto."