Chapter Fifteen: With a Whimper

RIN'S P.O.V

So. Sushi after class. Is this what we're doing now? Honestly, I can't even begin to think of a time where any of us had ever suggested taking Yukio out for sushi before. Which, obviously, makes me feel like such a shitty person; here these UA kids are, packing away their demon wards and talismans from today's practises, getting ready to treat me to a nice meal as a way of thanking me for keeping their butts alive. Even though, when you think about it, I really didn't do anything at all when we went up against Leviathan. I saved one of them from falling, sure, but that was it. And they still think I deserve dinner to pay me back.

Still, I guess I can't let it play on my mind too much. Maybe I'll just have to do the same for Yukio when he gets back from Russia. I think that'd be nice- spending some time with my bro without having to worry about demons and the Vatican and all the crap that keeps screwing us over on a daily basis. Just me, him, and a big bowl of food. Sounds like a plan to me.

"Hey, teach, you ready? We're gonna start heading there!" Kirishima calls from across the room, slinging his bag over his shoulder with little to no effort. Despite it being essentially filled with bottles upon bottles of holy water. Hey, last time I carried that bag, it sprung a leak, and I had to spend the day in a bath of ice just to stop my back from burning. Not fun.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, I'll be there in a minute!" I chime, standing with a small grunt, my tail shifting a little under my shirt. Being coiled so tight around my waist all the time is really starting to get to it- not only is it becoming all sorts of nasty and stiff, but the ache gets near-unbearable sometimes. Man, I hate this. I hate lying to people. I hate having to hide. Again. When everyone found out about me in True Cross, it was like the damn weight of the world had been lifted. Sure, it wasn't really the best thing that coulda happened, but at least it took all that pressure off.

And now it's just been piled right back on again.

Honestly, I don't really notice Bakugou approach until I feel his hot breaths swirl around my neck, a stark shudder trembling through my nerves. "Dude, personal space," I quietly hiss, nudging him away with my elbow. He doesn't like it, of course, his scarlet eyes narrowing into a deadly, crimson glare. But he complies nonetheless, taking a single step back. Not really much of an improvement, but it's better than nothing. "Something you need?"

"Yeah, actually. Got a minute?" He growls, as much menace in his tone as usual. So nothing's changed there then. Even after everything- after all that damn teamwork- and he still hates my guts. I mean, I don't know what I expected from him; the more I get to know these kids, the more I realise how one-dimensional his personality is. He hates people for the sake of hating them, and nothing will change his mind.

"Kinda agreed to go get sushi with those guys so-"

"-It can wait," he hisses, suddenly gripping my collar and essentially dragging me kicking and screaming. Minus the kicking. And the screaming. It's more of a stumble, and a vague protesting. But, before I know it, we're outside in the amber sunlight, the fountain faintly trickling a few yards away. And it's just him and I, face to face, red and blue eyes locked on one another. Waiting for the other to strike. Or to bow down and submit.

"What do you want, Bakugou? I didn't do anything in the fight with Leviathan. I didn't use my powers," I sharply whisper, shutting myself up when a couple of girls walk by, only glancing at us before blushing and giggling to one another. Probably because boom boy and I are essentially millimetres apart, and his nose is this close to bumping into mine. God, they probably think we're going in for a kiss or something.

As soon as they pass us, however, he growls and pushes me back a little until my shoulders hit the wall. I wish I could stand up. Push him back twice as hard and remind him of just how much power I've got under the hood. But I can't. How can I even risk it with all the leverage he holds against me? One wrong move and my secret's out. My head would be on a platter before nightfall.

"Well, I did some reading up on your powers. And I found something called The Blue Night. Heard of it?" Right then, a pit opens up in my stomach, and my eyes fall to the ground. Asshole. He just had to play that card. "Thought so. Those flames of yours killed thousands of people. Hell, they even killed kids," he snarls, lifting his hand just to show off how many sparks can spit from his fingertips at once. "Don't care if it was your dad or not that killed them. You've got those powers, and I'm not risking anyone's lives to stay even with you." Then, there's a hand against my face, clammy and hot.

I'd run if I could. I'd scream out, or try to get him off. But shock is rooting me in place, squeezing my throat. Strangling me. I can barely think, and breathing is totally out of the question. The only thing I can hear is a static ringing in my ear. And, even then, it's muffled and dim. Everything ends not with a bang, but with a whimper. Or both, in my case. This is what I get, I guess. This is what I get for being Satan's kid. I should've known he'd figure it out eventually. And I should've known how it'd make him feel.

And then the blast goes off.

An assault against my senses explodes and then- I see a flash of gold staggering towards me. My world tilts, and the side of my face sears, but I can at least hear. I'm alive. Somehow. And soon, the voices multiply. Hazy vision clouds faces and obscures features, but a blob of red is dragging someone away. Someone whose palm is smoking. Then there's green, huddling beside the black and gold blob. Kaminari? Deku? I think I'm on the floor, and the ringing in my head has increased to a screaming but-

What just happened?