Chapter Eighteen: Penny in the Air

RIN'S P.O.V

"So anyway, we were just talking and then he started acting really weird all of a sudden. I think... He was trying to ask me to go out for sushi with him. As in just him." Even now, on the phone to Yukio, I can't help but let my head reel. Everything about Kaminari, from the way he awkwardly shifted when he asked me, down to the inability to hold eye contact, all screamed the same blaring question. And I was too damn dumb to see it. But, now, looking back, I'm pretty sure I know what he was really asking. He didn't wanna go out as a group. He wanted to go out... With me.

"Sounds like you really left him hanging."

"Hey!" I snap, grumbling and flopping down on my bed, my tail dangling over the edge. "I don't even- I'm not into that." Total lie, but okay. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with guys liking guys. Never has been, and I don't get why people make such a huge deal out of it like it's the worst thing that could ever happen to humanity. Maybe it's 'cause I'm a demon, and I just don't care as much as other people. Or maybe because my old man was super chill for a religious guy when it came to gay dudes. But I dunno. Felt like there was always pressure on me to bring home some hot chick or something.

"Rin, I've seen your manga stash." K.O. Just put me in my grave and pour holy water over the coffin. Obviously, I choke on air, bolting up and gripping my phone tight. He- That asshole! I'm gonna kill him!

"You went through my manga?! What the hell, man?!"

"I was only trying to clean your room. And it was months ago. If I wanted to out you I could've done it back then," he sighs. And, just like that, all my irritation and petty anger melt away. He sounds exhausted. Sometimes I wonder what the hell he's even doing in Russia. I get hunting demons is tiring, but it's starting to seem like there's more to this than he's letting on. Nothing ever makes Yukio sound as tired as he does right now.

"Hey, are you sleeping?"

"Huh? Of course. Why'd you ask?"

"You just... Dude, you sound awful. Something on your mind?" I know I'm prying, and it really isn't my place to pester him about something like this. But he's my twin brother. No way I'm gonna let him butcher his health for some stupid mission. "Y'know, you can come home if you need to."

"I'm fine, Rin. This investigation is just getting a bit taxing, that's all."

"What are you even investigating? You haven't told me anything about it."

"I know. I want to, but it's classified."

"I'm your brother."

"So it's even more classified," he softly chuckles. I wish I could crack a smile, but something just feels grim. Out of place. Like there's something lingering, waiting to drop at any second, but struggling to grasp at the gravity it needs to fall. Penny in the air. "Trust me, I'm taking care of myself. Make sure you do the same," he eventually murmurs after a few moments of stone-cold silence. If I knew what to say, I'd say it. But, until I have proof that there's anything really wrong, I've got no reason to not believe him. Maybe I'm the one not giving enough credit this time around.

"I will. Hey, before you go- Is Shura there? Haven't talked to her in ages."

"She's sleeping right now. I'll try to get her to call you back when we have time, but we don't really get amazing signal out here. And, by the time we're done for the day, she's too drunk to stay awake." Finally, both of us are laughing, just enjoying this little moment. Well... Enjoying it as much as we can. I can keep telling myself he's fine, but I don't think I'll ever truly settle until he's home. Here, with me. Where he should be. "As for Kaminari, I'd say go out with him. Try it- you might surprise yourself."

"Right. Yeah. Maybe you're right. I guess I'll talk to ya when I talk to ya, yeah?"

"Sounds good." Then he's gone. The line cuts out, and I'm left alone. Sprawled on my back, my tail grazing the wooden flooring, whilst the pointed tips of my ears tease the edge of the pillow. This sucks. I wanna go see him. I wanna check up on him and- Man, I'm starting to sound like him, aren't I? Paranoid about my twin. Stressed about teaching a bunch of kids who barely wanna listen half the time. Is this what it's like to live a day in his shoes? Or a few weeks.

However, before I can get up and... Go ask Kaminari if he actually still wants to go out for sushi after class (even though it's been 'after class' for a few days now), my phone suddenly starts to go off again. Not gonna lie, I hate that I nearly drop it like it's about to bite my hand off. But, if you'd seen the caller ID, you'd probably have the same reaction. I don't wanna answer. Man, I really don't. Haven't I got enough to worry about already?!

"Yo, Bon!"

"Hey, Okumura."

"Isn't it a bit late?"

"Yeah. Does it matter?"

"Uh... Guess not." I don't need this. Not tonight. Well, not any night, if we're being real here. Dealing with Bon is something I've gotta prepare for, y'know? "So what's up?"

"Dealing with the aftermath of the Impure King stuff is a bit harder than we thought it was gonna be. So uh- Well would ya come help out with those kids you're tutoring? We could use the extra hands, and your tourist ass gets to see-"

"-The Kyoto Tower! Awh, hell yeah, of course we'll come help! When d'you need us to be there? I'll get everyone up and-"

"-Not till tomorrow, idiot. Don't get your damn tail in a twist."

"A-Ah... Right. We'll be on the first train in the morning!" What can I say? I'm a sucker for landmarks.

And one day, that's probably gonna get me in a lot of trouble.