32| You Just Can't Top Cayden

Start from the beginning

    The guys started leaving the locker room, and I strategically stayed behind. I needed to be alone with Charlie so that I could talk to him about Logan and I.

    The other night was super awkward. It was so obvious that Logan and I were hiding something, and that we definitely hadn't been studying. I don't even know why I blurted out that we were studying in the first place. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

    Either way, Logan and I had agreed to keep whatever was going on between us a secret. Charlie seeing us together and being all suspicious definitely wasn't going to help our case.

    Finally, I watched as the other freshman, Lucas, left the locker room with Zane. That left Charlie all alone.

"Charlie," I said, and he peeked his head out from a row of lockers. "Come here."

He walked over, folding his shirt inside out to put it on. "Hey, Noah," he said, smiling. "What's up?"

"We've gotta talk about what you saw last night," I said.

"What did I see again?" Charlie asked. "Oh yeah, I saw you and Logan together! Studying at La Belle's."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, we were studying," I said. "Look, I just wanted to clear things up—"

"Noah, are you two like... a thing?" Charlie asked, interrupting me. "I'm just wondering is all. That's just what it looked like, and... well... I think you guys are really cute."

Oh my God. "Charlie, you're making this really weird."

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"Logan and I are... kind of a thing," I admitted, and his eyes widened. Apparently, he wasn't expecting me to tell him that. "But we're keeping it a secret for now. You know? Keeping it between us."

"Ohhhh," Charlie realized. "That's why you said you were studying. Well, that makes sense."

I nodded. "Yep."

"Why are you keeping it a secret though?" Charlie asked. "I know that you two kind of hated each other, I mean, I saw a little bit of it this year. But mostly, I've seen you guys getting all close."

Sometimes I forgot Charlie was a freshman, and he hadn't seen me and Logan practically attempt to kill each other every other year of high school.

"Because," I sighed. "A lot of people would have a lot of different opinions on us being together. Especially considering our shaky past. We just want to keep it private."

Charlie nodded. "I get it," he said. "I'm not going to go around telling people, if that's what you're worried about. If you guys want to keep your relationship a secret, it's none of my business."

I smiled and patted Charlie on the back. "I like you, kid," I said. "Thank you." I started walking towards the exit of the locker room.

"No problem," he said. "Hey, wait— did you just now decide that you like me?"

"Yup!" I yelled as I left the locker room.

✯ ✯ ✯

Once we finished the scrimmage, it was just past 6:30. We had started off the girls practice by doing some actual drills first, just so that they would be fully prepared and ready for state. Not to mention, they did a lot of hitting practice, mainly for Savannah's benefit. Even I could admit that Savannah was definitely not the best... Logan kept sending me annoyed looks every time Savannah hit, and I couldn't help but laugh. She was cute when she was annoyed.