My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 35

Start from the beginning

"Why do you even have that?" he grumbled, pointing at the purple piece of clothing. He took another huge step forward, and by now, he was towering over us. I wanted to hide behind Cindy's blonde tresses. Heck, I'd even hide behind my curls. Afterall, they were wild and crazy enough to hide my whole face and arms.

"Are you not telling us something, Charlie? Because you can," stated Cindy, her voice full of sincerity.

"We'll accept you no matter what," I added with a small smile. Though, I doubt it helped our situation. We were most likely just digging ourselves deeper holes.

Charls' face turned bright red as he glanced back and forth between us and the purple dress. "No! God, you two are like airheads sometimes," he grumbled some more, looking annoyed and still partially angry.

"Excuse me, but we're only trying to help!" Cindy stated in aggravation. "You're the one who's being rude here!"

With each spiteful word, Cindy jabbed her index finger on Charlie's chest. I knew it hurt him, because his face visibly stiffened each time. They threw nasty things back and forth, and soon, I only seemed to be part of the background. It was easy to slip away, since things were getting too personal. But, I've learned it the hard way that stealthiness wasn't a trait of mine. So, I stayed glued to my seat.

Charlie looked just about ready to burst as he continued to tell his sister things that would prove his heterosexuality. I knew my best friend, and once you got her going, there was no going back. Yet, I just sat there, like a proper awkward turtle. Ha, no surprise there.

"You know what? Just leave, Cinderella," he said, opening his door wide enough for me and her. "You too, Elouise. I'm not in the mood for this."

"Fine," Cindy replied sassily.

"Fine."

"Fine!"

She grabbed my wrist and stormed us out of Charlie's bedroom. Glancing back, I realized I didn't want what I think was gonna happen actually happen. I wanted to stop him from shutting us out. He used to do it all the time--push everyone away--but things were looking up this year. Everything was much more open and...nice. I couldn't think of a quick fix, and if I don't, then we're back to square one. To be honest, I didn't want that; I'm not sure I can bear it. Not now, when we actually have a good friendship going.

And, helpful tutoring sessions. That too.

So, I did what I saw in the movies: I used my foot to stop the door from closing. You know, putting your foot forward and launch it in the middle of the slamming. It was stupid, but it worked. It was still really idiotic, though. And it hurt like crazy. Did I mention that the sting lasted for quite a while?

Why couldn't he just close the door gently? That would've save me the pain, I thought.

This is why you should listen to your brain first.

Oh, shut up.

I was just saying...

Nobody likes you!

"Ouch!" I yelled, immediately hopping away from the doorway with one foot clutched in my hands. "That hurts, dammit!"

Cindy quickly loses her fire and tends to me. As for Charlie, he reappears with a guilty expression. They sit me on my sleepover bed in Cindy's room as I try to hold back tears. My foot really ached, but having the siblings watch me with worried faces and frightened eyes made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I knew I should've reassured them that I was fine, but I was too busy rubbing my injured foot. Upon removing my footwear, we saw that it was flaming red and slightly bigger than its normal size. It felt slightly numb as well.