Very Lawful

The title is a pun.

"C-cheerleading phase?"

I look over at Evan, his face red and his eyes with stars in them.

I look away flushed and shrug, "Uh yeah, I um I went through this.. Phase of wanting to be a cheerleader and shit but the cheer team didn't let me on the team."

Zoe giggles and I give her a death stare, "What Connor means is he has a wittle dream of being in a short skirt and crop top and wave pom poms around but the cheer team never let any guys on the team."

I loosen my death stare when she said guys but the short skirt, crop top, and pom poms thing is... Un.. True..?

"Thats not what that phases was. I just thought it was cool that they could cheer their team on and having so much positivity. That's it."

Zoe snorts and I punch her arm to shut her up.

"W-well um our school does cheer and other sports you could probably sign up for.?"

My eyes widened and I wave my hands frantically. "Nononono, I'm good, seriously. I've been over that phase for a long time, trust me."

"Maybe you should do it, Connor." I look over at Zoe and she has a sweet smile on her face, showing she genuinely want me to.

I roll my eyes, "Ill think about it."

-_-_-_-_-_-

When we get back, my dad is gone and my mom is sitting asleep in one of the waiting room's chairs.

Christine and Mr. Heere thanked Evan for taking us away from the situation and shit. Next we had to figure everything out.

"Where's La- our dad?" I sneak a look at my sleeping mom and just wonder where Larry had run off to.

Mr. Heere doesn't look up from his computer at me and Zoe, instead just keeps typing. "Him and your mother got into an argument and we had him... Escorted out."

"Of course." Zoe scoffs.

Mr. Heere just continues typing. "You two can go back to your rooms. We'll take care of your mother and we'll call you down when we have the court date set."

We nod and walk out of his office.

I close his door and look at Zoe's tear stained face. "Zo-"

"What if we lose? I don't want to go back home." She sobbed.

She searched my face for an answer. Not receiving one, she started walking off but I grabbed her back, pulling her into a hug.

I started tearing up a bit myself as I held my dear sister tight to my chest. Funny how we despised each other back in out home town but as soon as we have more of a reason to live each other, we do.

I have a reason to live each other because how else is going to care for us when we feel like we're on out own at this point? Who's going to protect us? We can only protect each other at this point.

Especially at this day in age. All you hear on the streets are insults and hatred. We only have each other to protect.

"There's no way we can lose. Larry should already have something of child abuse and shit. I won't let us lose, Zoe. I promise."

I promise.