Who decides the rules for lovers like you and I?

“With, without 
We trust, we doubt 
To find, to lose 
We hurt, we bruise 
The hand, the heart 
An end, a start”

I chose “The Rules for Lovers” by Richard Walters for this chapter because I like how it builds in intensity.

-Her- 

“You! Get away from her!”  

She’d never heard Osman’s voice sound like that before.  

She had enough time to recognize who had found them and what his intentions were, but not enough to react physically. She was frozen there wedged between Can and the old door, her eyes open wide and her mouth open in shock. There was a moment, almost in slow motion, that his eyes met hers before the chaos erupted.  

He, unlike her, reacted physically. He turned to face his adversary, instinctually shielding her with his body. She knew Osman would never hurt her, but  he  was a different story. And if Osman hit Can, she knew he would have no problem defending himself.   

“Stop!” she yelled at the top of her lungs, hoping to prevent the oncoming onslaught. She was trying to get out, get between them, but Can would not let her out of his protective cage. Things were happening in slow motion, but her mind was racing.    

“Osman don’t!” he was within swinging distance now and she panicked.  

Thank Allah he listened . He stopped inches in front of Can and stared at him menacingly. They were nearly evenly matched in size, but she knew Can had fight skills that Osman didn’t possess. Still, if they fought it would get ugly. She needed to diffuse the situation.  

 “Osman, it’s okay. I  want  him here.” she touched Can’s shoulder, claiming him.  

“That doesn’t mean he  should  be here.” Osman hadn’t moved or stopped staring the other man down.  

Can stood his ground. Testosterone was a powerful drug.   

“You should leave before  Nihat   Bey  finds out that you’ve been here.”  in the neighborhood, touching his daughter.  She could read the thoughts in Osman’s face  

She had been vaguely aware that a few other men from the neighborhood had followed behind Osman. They were there to back him up, or just to watch the drama go down. It was then she noticed the jackal Ishan standing at the back of the pack looking quite pleased with himself. He must have spotted them and gone running to tell, knowing that a confrontation would happen. He never let an opportunity to shame her family pass him by. She would be having words with him.   

“I’ll leave if that’s what  she  wants.” her thoughts were interrupted by Can’s words.  

“Can.” she brushed her hands along his back to soften him. He let her step out from behind him.   

“I don’t want you to go, but it’s probably for the best.” she held his hand and looked just at him.   

He didn’t break eye contact with Osman. “If you’re sure you’ll be alright here,  my love .” then he finally turned to look at her.  

He was publicly claiming her just as she had when she said she wanted him there. She could only nod.  

He squeezed her hand in farewell and slowly let go of her fingers as he stepped away to walk down the alley. He gave Osman a challenging look before turning his back and heading toward his truck.  

She gulped, then sighed in relief. She knew the relief would only be temporary.