I would be honored if you would take me as I am

“It's a warm celebration
Of all of our years
I dream of our story
Of our fairy-tale”

“Is That Alright?” by Lady Gaga is the song for this chapter. I don’t always, but I like using female voices for Sanem’s chapters, and Gaga’s voice is so powerful here.

-Her-

She would never forget what his smile looked like when her father gave him her hand in marriage.

When she was a young girl she didn’t really dream of her wedding, but she did dream of her Albatross. She fantasized about a man who would sweep her off her feet and take her far away. He was the gentle prince to her beautiful princess. She hadn’t really considered herself beautiful or special until she met her real life gentle prince. The fairytale in her head wasn’t anything compared to reality. He hadn’t taken her far away but instead landed here and made a life with her. He chose her, the early bird, as his mate for life.

When she was young the prince of her fairytale never had a face. In her dreams she could feel his gentle touch, the warmth of his chest, the strength of his arms, but she didn’t know what he looked like. Now she knew. He was the most beautiful man she had ever seen. He had a perfect nose, high cheekbones, and the most intensely expressive eyes. He was tall and broad and strong. He was funny, smart, and passionate. And he loved her. Dreams really do come true.

The rest of the celebrations went by in a blur. She laughed when Emre stumbled back in the house from retrieving the flowers and chocolates from Can’s truck. She felt embarrassed that Can didn’t have a ring for the ribbon cutting ceremony, but they just tied it around his finger and took tons of cheesy photos that way. She teared up when he called her mother Annecim and her father Nihat Baba. They didn’t have an easy road, but they made it. And she couldn’t regret anything. It was a night she would keep with her forever.

At one point Can snuck her away from the celebrations to have a quiet moment together.

“Can?!” she whispered. “Where are we going?”

He lead her quietly down the stairs to the kitchen. “Could I ask my wife for a glass of water to follow the wonderful coffee she made for me?”

She blushed at the words my wife, and dutifully went to the fridge to retrieve the pitcher of cold water.

He took the proffered glass and took a long drink. “Aaahh. Much better.”

What a baby. “Was it really that bad?”

“No aşkım. I love everything you make for me.” he got all up in her personal space, trying to be cute and sarcastic.

“Well the joke’s on you because Leyla made the coffee.” she bumped his nose with hers to emphasis her point.

He feigned shock and disappointment. “How could you start our life together on a lie?”

She snorted out a short laugh. “I was going to, but my hands were shaking so badly that Anne thought I would burn her kitchen down spilling it all over the stove.”

He smiled softly at her. “Well it’s a good thing I taught Leyla my Greek method of coffee brewing then, huh?”

“Evet. Thank you.” his arms were around her now and she felt more content than she ever had.

“It’s a good thing we both prefer tea.” he used a joking tone but the sincerity was there.

She tried to swat his arm but he held her so closely that she couldn’t move her arm. He squeezed tighter in response and she considered protesting further just to see how tight he would press her body into his.

“Did I really surprise you?” his puppy dog eyes gave away how desperately he wanted to please her.

“Yes. I mean I sort of knew when you brought Emre and Remide Hanim, but I had no idea up until that point.” she paused to think of how she wanted to phrase her next sentence. “I never really thought you were the type of person for a traditional proposal.”

“Really?” he didn’t take offense, but was genuinely interested in her thoughts.

“To be honest, I didn’t think you would propose again after what happened the first time.” she didn’t want to dampen their moods, but she did want to be honest with him.

“Honestly? I didn’t think I would propose again either. I was pretty hurt when you turned me down, but we have grown so much since then. We’ve both made mistakes, but what’s important is that we want to try. We try to be better, we try to communicate, we try to reach each other.”

“I’ll never stop trying, for you.” she put her hands on his cheeks and stroked his beard with her thumbs.

“I promise to always try for you too.” he was looking down at her with so much love that she thought her heart would burst.

They wrapped themselves around each other and kissed in the middle of her mother’s kitchen, not caring that their family was just upstairs.