Chapter Forty-Eight

Start from the beginning

“Well, we better get going,” I said with a slight head nod, and started walking into the forest, but Emma caught my arm.

“Listen, Layla, I’m sorry about what I said about your brother in the tower. Being away from him kind of alters my judgment. I guess, I guess I just don’t realize the extent of my feelings whenever I’m not around him,” She quietly explained.

I smiled lightly, and patted her hand that was still gripping my arm. “It’s okay, we all have moments like that,” I reassured her, and then took a deep breath. “Now let’s go save Harry and get back home.”

Her eyes were a bit dull, and I knew that she knew something that I didn’t, but I didn’t want to say anything because I knew she’d never tell me straightforward. “Let’s kick some vampire ass,” She agreed, and the both of us began walking into the forest; me more following her since I didn’t know where to go.

Harry.

BAM!

That was the third bullet that Marcus decided to fire at me, but it didn’t hit me, just a small graze that barely caused me to bleed. Either he was an extremely bad shot, or he just wanted to make me bleed more and more. The latter seemed the most appropriate. He wanted me to bleed out the human blood that was in my system, and he wanted me to feel the pain of each bullet while knowing that I was going to die by his hand.

“This is so much more fun than I had thought,” Marcus spoke in a suddenly giddy voice that reminded me of a child getting the greatest gift of all.

I stared up at him. “I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself, mate,” I responded and rolled my eyes. Minutes ago my legs had given out due to the weakened state I was going through, and I was now forced to lay here and take whatever he gave me. I didn’t feel much pain or really anything; maybe just annoyance that he was dragging out my death that we both knew was coming.

The next shot fired, this time, went straight through my side in a direct hit causing me to cry out through my teeth, and squeeze my eyes shut.

“Oh, you’re not enjoying yourself as well? I thought that this would be fun for the both of us.” He grinned down at me, and cocked his head.

“Give me one of those guns and then I’ll enjoy myself,” I curtly responded, and a bullet was fired at my leg, snapping my shin bone with its force and speed. This time I could help the small scream of agony escaping my lips. Bullets never really hurt until they snap a bone, that’s a pain that you never really get used to.

“Nope, it wouldn’t be more fun for me if I did that,” He said and walked around my figure, and I heard a small crack and gasp from beside me.

I looked over and noticed that he had stepped on Damaris’ hand, breaking the bones in his fingers. I cringed slightly, and I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

“I wonder when you’ll pass out, Styles. You can’t hold onto consciousness forever, you know,” Marcus commented, still walking around my body.

I stared up at the trees, noticing the soft breeze that was fluttering through the leaves, causing them all to flow in one direction. However, for just a split second they blew another way, and then went back to their regular direction. That seemed a bit off.

“I can stay awake for as long as I’m needed to, Marcus,” I said, and turned my head to watch him continuously walking around me. “In case you don’t remember, I’m older than you and stronger because of it. I can withstand thirst for as long as I need to as well.”

The gun went off, and a bullet fired right through my left hand. A sharp gasp was inhaled through my teeth, and I gritted them in pain. It was getting harder and harder to not show the extent of the torture I was going through. I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of knowing that he was slowly killing me.