Chapter Thirty-Nine

[Previously on Possession]

My body froze as I heard footsteps behind me, a lot of footsteps. I knew without a doubt that whoever it was had to be there for me and that I wouldn't stand a chance against them. Slowly, I turned my head, and gasped before I shook my head. He couldn't be here, I know that I wanted him here, but he couldn't have done this.

"Damaris, what have you done?"

Layla.

My chest was heaving, and my thighs were sore, but I wasn’t sure if it had anything to do with the hike I had just did, or that it had to do with the fact that my brother was laying nearly lifeless on the ground. Damaris was looking at me, almost as if he were confused by my reaction.

“I’m rescuing you, Layla. Come on, I need to get you out of here before he wakes up,” He said, and grabbed my arm, then began pulling me away from Justin.

I jerked my arm out of his hold, and scoffed slightly. “He’s my brother, you jackass! What did you do to him?” I hissed through my teeth.

His eyes widened momentarily, before he composed his expression. “Your brother? You don’t have a brother, Layla. They must have brainwashed you. That’s what those artificial bastards do, remember?”

I couldn’t help but scoff again at the way he was talking about the made vampires, and how he ignored my question. “I had a brother before I went to live with your family. You don’t know about my family’s history.”

“He’s a made vampire!” Damaris growled at me, his eyes flashing red. “And he’s got you up in this cabin far away from civilization. His intentions are anything but good. Why can’t you see that?”

I crossed my arms, and rolled my eyes. “Why can’t I see that? Because. He. Is. My. Brother,” I said, once again through my teeth. “Get it through your head, Damaris. Justin is my brother, and you’ve hurt him!”

He grabbed my arm again, but this time it was using his vampire strength. I cried out slightly, and he didn’t even bother to loosen it. “I’m not going to fall for this brainwashing bullshit. They’ve done something to you, you’re not the same anymore, and I’ve got to get you away from him.”

I gritted my teeth, and slapped my left hand against his arm in an attempt to get him to let me free. It was my hurt hand, and the only one it was injuring was me, because he wasn’t letting me go. “Justin hasn’t done anything to hurt me!”

Damaris grabbed my left wrist, and held it up. “Oh yeah? Then what’s this? A new tattoo?”

I growled under my breath, and jerked my hand away. He let that one go, but continued to hold me hostage by the other. “I did that. He was teaching me how to cook last night, and I wasn’t paying attention.”

This time, he was the one that scoffed and rolled his eyes. “Really? Then why did I smell your blood all around this cabin? I thought that he cut you and was hunting you, for Christ’s sake!”

“Because I did it so you could figure out where I was!” I raise my voice at him, and punched his chest. “I wanted you to find me so I could,-“

He interrupted me by putting his hand over my mouth, rudely, I might add. “No, no, don’t even try to sell me that bullshit you tried to outside a few minutes ago, Layla. I wasn’t buying it then, and I’m not going to buy it now.”

I grunted slightly. He did hear me when I was talking, but I guess he just wasn’t listening. I turned my head to the side in order to get his cold hand away from my mouth. “I am not brainwashed. I don’t want Harry to hurt you, you fucking idiot!”