Chapter Forty-Two

Layla.

“It’s the only way,” Marcus said, and kept his grip on me.

“No it’s not! You’re not cutting off my finger,” I screamed at him, but he only ignored me.

“It’ll cause her more pain than it’s worth,” Damaris said, and shook his head. He was ignoring me too.

Marcus snorted in response. “It’s more pain than it’s worth? Do you want that bastard to come here, and find her? Because he will, this ring no doubt has some sort of tracking device in it.” He held up my hand by my wrist despite my obvious tugs to get it free from his grasp. I was trapped, and there was nothing I could do. “Once her finger is off the blood will no longer be able to flow through it freely, therefore, it won’t detect a heartbeat, and it’ll slide right off. Then she can just have some vampire blood to heal her right back up.”

“I can’t have vampire blood from anyone besides Harry,” I said, thickly, and both of them looked at me. “And no one can feed from me but him.”

Marcus tightened his grip around my wrist, causing me to whimper. “Do you think I’m that ignorant, little girl? I was alive when your ancestors were walking around.”

“It’s true! Try it if you want, but you’ll just get sick,” I snapped at him.

“She’s right about the second part. I tried to bite her at the beach, and I felt sick. I thought she had vervain or something in her system, but it wasn’t t same,” Damaris said, and sighed quietly. “The bastard must have cursed her with his curse.”

“Her finger still has to come off. I won’t let you risk the secretiveness of our location,” Marcus said, and the blade went down to my hand.

I screamed, and my free hand grabbed onto Damaris, who quickly stopped him.

“No! I won’t let you do it if we don’t have some way to help her afterwards,” He snapped toward the older vampire, and my hand was jerked free, then his arms wrapped around my body protectively.

“Do I have to temporarily kill you to get you out of my way?” Marcus asked him, and narrowed his eyes. “The ring has to be deactivated, and used as a way to get Styles off of our backs.”

“What about the witch?” Damaris asked, and continued to have his protective hold on me. “Maybe she could deactivate it.”

“Not without warning Styles first. She’s already said it that she’s loyal to him, and refuses to betray him,” Marcus responded to him sharply. “There’s no other way other than to remove the finger. As long as we control the bleeding, and clean the wound, she’ll heal.”

“You’re not taking off my finger!” I snapped at him, and Damaris held me back slightly. It was almost as if he thought I was a threat to Marcus in some way.

“I won’t let you ruin the safety of this Order. You should be grateful that we took you in, and away from those bastards,” The older vampire spat at me. His entire aura reeks of arrogance, and pride. I felt sick to my stomach every time I looked at him.

“I never asked you to take me aw-,” I started, but Damaris’ hand clasped over my mouth.

“Layla, shut up,” He whispered in my ear, and I grumbled into his hand. “I won’t let her ruin it either, but I want to at least ask the witch.” He paused to exhale slowly, and looked at me. “She might not do it for us, but she might do it for Layla.”

Marcus sighed, and his expression turned even further annoyed.

“It doesn’t hurt to ask,” Damaris said, and pressed his lips together. “And if she says no then we’ll do this your way. I just want to keep every option open.”