Chapter Twenty-Five

"He was the lighter to my fire, he took me places I could never go with anybody else. I was his, and he was mine."

(Submitted and written by: @Miss_QueenB_)

Harry.

The rising and falling of her chest as she breathed was one of the most ordinary things of her kind, in fact, it's what made her human; her lungs needed the oxygen to keep her alive. However, it was just that simple thing that I loved about her, along with her heartbeat and the way her skin was warm instead of cold like mine. My fingers eagerly traced over the smooth skin of her bare back, but I was careful to barely touch her so I wouldn't wake her, she needed her sleep after our previous actions.

I couldn't help but smirk to myself at that thought. She was so different this time, but different in a really good way. I was used to taking charge of that type of situation after doing it for such a long time, and it was hot for her to take over for me. The last time something like that had happened was during the days leading up to my transformation.

I frowned. Layla was changing me in so many different ways, and I was just beginning to realize the full extent of it. She was making me think of the things that I've buried deep for the longest of times, and I've had to process those emotions in a way that won't harm the things around me. 

Normally, every time I thought of Emilia and the tortures she had put me through something ended up broken, or someone's neck was snapped. Dealing with those emotions were never my strongest suit, and now she's change that about in a blink of an eye. Remembering them is painful, and hard, but at least some of it gives me closure; which was something that I desperately needed more than anything. I needed closure for the life I had lost, and for the life of my mum and friends. They were all causalities in Emilia's sick and twisted games, her way of torturing and breaking me. She told me that I was the most fun she had had in years.

My eyes were glowing red, I could feel the tingling of my irises and the heat coming from them. My fangs were aching to push through my gums and bite down into the soft flesh of the girl laying beside me. However, all of it was easily pushed away because my urge to protect her overshadowed the urge to hurt her or anything else.

I took a deep breath and rolled over onto my side, facing away from her. If she woke up, I didn't want her to see me like this, she would know something was wrong, and with her stubborn nature she wouldn't give up until she knew what was going on. That was another of the things I loved about her, but I also hated it at the same time. It's something that first sparked interest in me once I saw her in the car, just after the auction. She was tough, and spunky, and almost adorable in the ways that she fought against me. It pained me when she started to cry, tears of frustration she had claimed, but I could tell differently. She was afraid of me, though she just didn't want to show it.

Showing fear is weakness, that's something that we both can agree on easily. However, that might be the only emotional weakness that we would agree with, she wouldn't understand the others I believe are weaknesses. Love is a weakness, trust is weakness, and sadness is a weakness. The only useful emotions, in my opinion anyway, is that of anger and determination. With anger, the rage gives you strength to finish what you started, and with determination, it gives you the strength to never give up.

I've learned all of that the hard way. Trial and error, really, and I've learned to trust my instincts when fighting anyone that is a worthy opponent. However, of course, no one ever really was for me anymore. I was the most powerful vampire in the world, at the moment, and that was all because I was the oldest living one. I was the only one to survive the battle, and I was greatly rewarded for it.